cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 28

Re: Managing user bandwidth on BT Broadband

I think you are getting confused. Wireless channels are not going to identify any other users connected to your own wireless network. All it will show are other wireless routers on the same frequency, something you cannot easily avoid in a built up area.

You can try changing wireless channel to see if that helps. If you are using "smart" wireless, then that restricts you to only three channels instead of 13.

When you are restarting the home hub, all its probably doing is to pick a different one of the three channels, which may be why its seems better for a while.

BT Wifi with FON, and BT Wifi X, are just additional SSIDS transmitted on the same channel as the home hub.

The only way you can identify users connected to your own personal home hub, is by looking at the hub manager, and seeing what devices are actually connected to your home hub.

So forget about using a wireless analyser, and instead, try to identify the user that is connected to your home hub,and is using up all of your bandwidth.

Once you have done that, then you can think about perhaps using a different router which allows you to restrict the bandwidth of that user.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 28

Have you tried splitting the 2.4/5ghz bands and giving the 5ghz SSID say '5' to identify it. You could do that when you select channels manually rather than let smart wireless choose your channel

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
PembsUsers
Contributor
Message 13 of 28

Hi Keith and ImJolly and gg30340 thank you for your reply/ies

This is no-one on our approved list with passwords (just the two of us) which slows down my wifi access.  This is someone who comes onto the router either as wifi x or bt FON that slows everything to almost a halt.

It isn't all the time.  It's just sometimes.  It's why I got here in the first place a while back when you helped me before so in a way I should be grateful to them because without them causing the problems initially I wouldn't have such an excellent (most of the time) service I had and I would never have had the real brilliant advice from you which has turned my service from ordinary to exceptional.

That said - still at times my service on wifi becomes close to unusable for browsing and definitely downloading (not used that much) yet remains great for uploading (if I did any, I suppose I do upload whilst browsing to an extent I do realise that)

The wifi analyser shows all who are logged into the router, even if we have not identified them as "ours" or "belonging to us".  It also shows my own log in to the router and my friend's log in and how much of that available signal is coming to me and how much is going to other users of our router and we identify that very easily by noting the up-time of our router.

We can identify that by their presence on the wifi x and bt FON by the date/time stamp attached to their profile on the service - and we can uniquely identify them on ours as opposed to another router say down the street which has users on the wifi x/FON with their unique time stamp (even if their signals are significantly less than ours)

The up-down graphical real time analysis (in what looks a bit like wave format but itsn't) shows the various channels being used by all the local-to-us routers.  We have changed the channel and our leeches come with us - to the user the channel that is being used is completely academic.  This is pulsed channel usage and why it looks like a graph but isn't as it's continually changing.  In order to make sense of it you even need to record it and play it back at a much slower speed and I have used VLC to record 5 minutes or so at a time activity whilst my service is degraded and playing it back at -10 speed

Now this isn't a remark directed at you but at BT ".. Turning the home hub on and off, is going to make BT think you have a fault, and eventually they will reduce your connection speed..."  if that is true then it's nuts.  This is 2017 and even if they don't own all the tools which are available from around the globe to analyse a connection they need to be able to use them properly.  This is as daft as the old line-training excuse was (- ludicrous)

Also - in defence of my "I want my MTV" whinging which is what this all sounds like I know and I apologise for it sounding like that I really do,  but all I really truly want is say 7 or 8 mb / s constant - I don't need nor am I ever likely to use the incredibly fast and super service which is our internet service most of the time.  That saying if and when I ever have spare money I might subscribe to netflix or another TV channel.  But I don't watch the telly at all - I like the papers on the internet and I am addicted to them and my facebook groups.  My best friend will record anything for me I want and his service is so good always for the telly, always, without fail - even while he watches HD telly it never, ever stutters.

suggested we could opt out of wifi x and fon - we dont use it but we might at some stage and anyway this defeats the object of our local community having paid dear for this fiber optic cabling and if there is A BIT a SMALL BIT not the lions share we can offer up to another user then we are just fine with it we just don't want to give them the whole dinner and leave me without anything but meagre leftovers. gg30340 - I had put that in copied but it didnt like it

On the subject of us paying for the cabling, shouldn't our little town have a better free coverage than it does ?  I am only 1/8th mile from the broadcast point and I can't access it at all.   Can you tell me about the free services for people who just want to quickly log in to get email or a message from a web service or the link if you know of one please ?  Asking because you seem to know all the gen on BT -

When I spoke recently to a friend in a group in the USA they were gobsmacked that we paid for a service such as fibre optic to be laid for a commercial company and said they wanted to come here and use it and be shareholders in BT I explained anyone could buy shares in it no matter where they are from and they said I was pulling their leg.  

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 28

I am still not clear how you can identify with your wifi analyser who is logged onto your router and how much of the available signal is going to each user. Which wifi analyser are you using?

Can you please clarify exactly how it does that and if possible show a screen print showing the different users.

The BTWifi-Fon and BTWifi-X do not connect to your Homehub, they are transmitted by your Homehub.  They will always show as being on the same channel.

PembsUsers
Contributor
Message 15 of 28

hiya gg30340 thank you for the reply

I have put screen shots on the previous page (don't know if you can see them or not as I noticed when I uploaded they could have gone to a private folder - I can repost them)

It's called wifi analyzer and I got it from the MS store - its the free version and you can pay extra for things which I don't know about how to use if you are technical

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 28

I can see the screen shots you posted OK.

There is nothing showing other than what I would expect to see which is the names of all the Wifi signals that are being transmitted near to you and this includes your own Homehub whic is BTHub5-2GJW and the BTWifi-Fon and BTWifi-X that your Homehub is transmitting

I can not see anything that says there is any device connected to the BTWifi-Fon or BTWifi-X transmitted by your Homehub. 

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 28

@gg30340 wrote:

I can see the screen shots you posted OK.

There is nothing showing other than what I would expect to see which is the names of all the Wifi signals that are being transmitted near to you and this includes your own Homehub whic is BTHub5-2GJW and the BTWifi-Fon and BTWifi-X that your Homehub is transmitting

I can not see anything that says there is any device connected to the BTWifi-Fon or BTWifi-X transmitted by your Homehub. 

I agree gg  I set it up on my pc and you can't see anything about usage

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
PembsUsers
Contributor
Message 18 of 28

There is no device shown - only the analysis of the network/s and the pulse and linear readings which tie up to the date stamp as ours (each unique local router has an up-time date/time stamp)

- sorry - I forgot to mention PLUS the fact that my wifi service is degraded / impacted (which is the only reason I have for using this tool)

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 19 of 28

The BTWif signals date stamp will be the same as your Homehub because they get transmitted when the Homehub is switched on.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 20 of 28

only by going to your hub and then devices can you tell what is actually conencted

0 Ratings