Re: Managing user bandwidth on BT Broadband

Yes, we worked that one out

0 Ratings
PembsUsers
Contributor
Message 22 of 28

hi Imjolly thank you for the reply

it's not the ones which are officially connected that are causing the degradation - we have full control over our two devices

It's the ones which use the hub as an access point for wifi x and BT FON - which we do not mind either to be honest IF there was some way to control it so that my own wifi service doesn't become unusable

0 Ratings
Liam_
Expert
Message 23 of 28

The only way you can set limits to Wifi bandwidth usage is if you have a router that supports it.  Then on the router set limits for each device connected.  The Hubs as you know can't do this.  Solution being get your own router.  Then there will be no BT Wifi/fon whatever signal being transmitted.  Problem solved.

PembsUsers
Contributor
Message 24 of 28

Well that's a shame.

Thank you for the info. 

Perhaps BT ought to come up with a way of divvying up the available portions because we don't mind a bit as long as what we have left (ok - me - i don't mind...) is usable

The folks in Wales have paid a lot of money for this super new fibre optic we all deserve to be able to use it anywhere

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 25 of 28

That is how it should work, BTwifi/FON is only allocated a proportion of the available bandwidth.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 26 of 28

@PembsUsers wrote:

Well that's a shame.

Thank you for the info. 

Perhaps BT ought to come up with a way of divvying up the available portions because we don't mind a bit as long as what we have left (ok - me - i don't mind...) is usable

The folks in Wales have paid a lot of money for this super new fibre optic we all deserve to be able to use it anywhere

You have priority over BTwifi/FON.

If you are still concerned, then do as @Liam_ has suggested.

The one I suggested for £30 does not transmit BT Wifi.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 27 of 28

I still do not know how you have established that somebody is using either of BTWifi signals without you having checked on your Homehub.

As has been explained, your own network has absolute priority over the BTWif users. If your network needs the bandwidth you get it.

I suspect that if it is not congestion, which will affect your wired speeds as well as the wireless ones, you are suffering from wireless interference. According to the pictures you posted the Thomson SSid and the Sagemcom SSid are on the same channel as you.

You should try moving to channel 13 and see if that helps. You may get a warning when you change it but you can safely ignore it. It is only relevant in the USA where it is illegal to use channel 13.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14094/~/how-do-i-change-the-wi-fi-channel-on-my-bt-hu...

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 28 of 28

I have just checked, are you still sharing your broadband with your neighbour as per this thread

https://community.bt.com/t5/Connected-Devices-Other/Re-Configure-other-provider-s-Wireless-Access-Po...

If you are, can you confirm where the Homehub is situated. Is it at your house or your friends?