cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Fenton419
Message 1 of 27

Manual DNS settings please for home hub 5

Peterhead has finally managed to get fibre which I have getting installed within the next 4 days.

I currently have internet with Eclipse Internet, and have all my DNS server settings entered manually.

This is because I like to play and have a server running in my house, with it acting as a DNS & DHCP server handing out the ip addresses to all my equipment (there is a lot)!!

My current router is set with DHCP and DNS server address pointing to my home server, which allows me to access my home equipment by friendly names rather than ip numbers.

Can someone please provide details of BT's DNS server address(s) so that I can add them to my home server as well as information as to how to set up the 'HomeHub 5' in the same way...

I understand that I will not be able to browse the internet unless my server is turned on, however this is part of my 'playing'.

Thanks in advance,

Shane
0 Ratings
26 REPLIES 26
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 27

Re: Manual DNS settings please for home hub 5

Welcome to this user forum.

There are a number of them, and they are allocated each time a dynamic IP address is requested, and you cannot change them on the home hub 5.

If you want to use your own DHCP server, then you would have to turn the home hubs DHCP server off.

You would then be free to use your own DNS servers like OpenDNS, or Google public DNS.

0 Ratings
MrP
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 27

@Keith_Beddoe wrote:

...and you cannot change [DNS servers] on the home hub 5.

Why do BT prevent the changing of the DNS servers on all their Home Hubs?!

0 Ratings
dakinepyro
Message 4 of 27

You can change DNS settings to manual on the BTHub5, all you have to do is as follows:

• Login to BTHub5
  • Goto Advanced Settings
  • Click on the Broadband top level menu
  • Then click on Internet(Which should be the default view)

When on this page you see all of the related Internet configuration info including BT DNS servers. Next you do as follows:

• Click the disconnect button at bottom right of page(be aware this will disconnect your broadband connection)
  • Once disconnected you will see an option for DNS which you can change from auto to manual
  • Select manual and you will get 2 boxes appear below to enter your manual DNS servers.
  • Once DNS details have been added you simply reconnect to re-establish the broadband connection and hey presto, you have your own DNS servers configured.

I tested this with OpenDNS servers and it all works and I can now restrict access to sites based on my OpenDNS policies.

Hope this helps.

bordonbert
Contributor
Message 5 of 27

Great info dakinepro, thanks for the heads up, I've been trying to change my DNS servers away from BTs for some time now, what with the YouTube fiasco which hit me badly, but I've not been able to.

Unfortunately, in my case, when I disconnect as you describe I do not get an option show up anywhere i can find to change DNS to manual.  Have I an out of date box or something?  The system reports:  BT Home Hub (Type A).  Software version 4.75.1.83.8.173.1.6.  Last updated 28/08/14.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 27

Just dug my HH5 out of the cupboard. No manual DNS options, Software version 4.75.1.83.8.173.1.6. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 27

I suspect that this may only apply to the non-BT supplied HH5s. I guess the BT supplied ones have their setting locked to make support easier.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 27

@Keith_Beddoe wrote:

I suspect that this may only apply to the non-BT supplied HH5s. I guess the BT supplied ones have their setting locked to make support easier.

Makes sense.

0 Ratings
dakinepyro
Message 9 of 27

I have a stock BTHub5 direct from BT with following firmware:

BT Business Hub 5 (Type A) | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.200 | Last updated 19/12/14

The way to access the manual DNS setting has changed slightly to what I posted above(since I changed my broadband username) however I can still manually add DNS.

• From the main 'My Business Hub' home screen where the broadband username etc is you have to disconnect the broadband connection by clicking disconnect(warning your internet connection will drop out).
  • Once disconnected you have to go select the 'Configure' button listed against the 'Broadband Username'.

disconnect broadband.jpg

• Once in the configure screen you should then see the option to set DNS from auto to manual, when manual option is selected 2 DNS entry boxes appear.
  • Once the DNS settings have been made reconnect and hey presto...

manual DNS.jpg

Worked for me anyhow...

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 27

BUSINESS hub, not HOME hub!