cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Julisum
Beginner
Message 1 of 13

Manual channel selection - can I choose anything other than 1, 6, 11

I have a dreaded HH3 and am suffering from terrible BB speeds and getting dropped. 

I have tried various options already mentioned in previous threads to no avail.

when i look at the congestion on inSSIDer it is obvious that this is a problem, I live in a terraced house on a street where many of the houses have been converted to 2 or 3 flats so very high useage.

Can I select a channel between  the recommended 1, 6, 11 such as 8 or will i get interference from the other two channels.

If this doesn't work i might have to try a new router with 5Ghz channels as it seems no-one around here has one of those.

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 13

Re: Manual channel selection - can I choose anything other than 1, 6, 11

you can set router to any channel but using inssider shows your wifi and other networks and you are looking for a free channel or a channel where your wifi signal is far stronger then any on same channel

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
peterbrazier86
Beginner
Message 3 of 13

Mine is set to "2" as my neighbours are all on sky and using multiple others. You are best to just keep trying different channel a day until you find one that works.

To change it go to 192.168.1.254(This is the default IP) in your browser. Select settings. Enter your admin password (on the black slip in the back mof the router and then WiFi to change the channel.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 13

You are best not to pick an overlapping channel, that is why 1,6,11 are the prefered channels as they do not overlap. If you pick channel 2 it over laps with 1 and 6 so you could get interference from them both. Channel 8 overlaps with 6 and 11 so again you could pick up interference from them.

0 Ratings
Julisum
Beginner
Message 5 of 13

gg30340, that was my concern.  1, 6, and 11 are really congested with 7 or 8 users on each so i'm really at a loss as to what to do.  having just read that 5GHz is not good with thick walls i don't think that will be an option either victorian stone terraces are full of thick, solid wals!!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 13

Julisum  do as imjolly has suggested use inssider to find  the best possible chanel and select  that one 

0 Ratings
Julisum
Beginner
Message 7 of 13

I have user inSSIDer, my question is can I choose a random channel e.g. 8 which is not being used by any-one else or am I just going to get interference from all of the users on 6 and 11 if i do this, as they seem to overlap when I look at the graphs on inSSIder

0 Ratings
Julisum
Beginner
Message 8 of 13

I guess i can answer my own question here, I am now on channel 8 which is completely free and am still only getting a FAIR signal despite being less than 10 m from the router in a straight line albeit up  hlaf a flight of stairs.  i can see the f***g router for goodness sake.  Grr, yes I am getting agitated, not with you guys obviously but with BT as i have spent far too much time trying to sort this out when i should be doing what i am paid to do, that is working.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 13

you may get sum just select a channel with the lowest usage and signal strength any thing is better then sitting on one of 3 highly occupied channels
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 13

the graph in inssider3 will show you the signal strength being received by the wifi device you are using - I would want graph to reach 50

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings