cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
und3adshr3d
Message 1 of 6

Mass confusion over FTTC!!

Hi all,

I was wondering if someone could shed some light on what's going on with the FTTC situation where I live as I'm very confused....Here goes:

About 18 months ago myself and my wife moved into a new build in Castleford, West Yorkshire. When we moved in I signed up for BT Broadband (4Mbps) as that was the best speeds we could get on the build. Over time I've been keeping my eye on the FTTC situation where we live as I really could do with faster broadband speeds for work VPN and IP Conferencing ect.

Every time I've checked the 'Where & When' page the status of our Cabinet has always been 'Under Review' until yesterday night when it suddenly changed to 'Accepting orders' When I saw this I went on roadworks.org website to check to see if any work had been carried out by BT on our Cabinet and surprise surprise they have just completed some work where the cabinet is situated. The website states the following:

"

Responsibility for these works:BT
Highway Authority:Wakefield Council

Information for Road Users

Traffic lights, etc:Some carriageway incursion

Information for Operational Teams

Location:INVERGE FOOTWAY AND CARRIAGEWAY FROM 16M SOUTH OF 2 TO OPPOSITE1, FALLBROOK ROAD...
Description:Install 18m of 1 way poly duct in Footway,Install 5m of 1 way poly duct in Verge...
Works ref:BC005WP00100500175551201
Current status:Work in progress
Work info last modified:15:29 on 09/03/2015
Last updated on roadworks.org:18:26 on 10/03/2015
Data source:BT

Now I walk past this cabinet when I'm walking the dog and noticed that BT have in fact dug up the road near the cabinet and put some tarmac down when they completed the works. The confusing part is that when I went on the 'Where & When' page after work this evening the page is again saying 'Under Review' for my cabinet and I'm totally confused as to what is going on. I called BT to try and order FTTC and was advised that "If the cabinet changed to accepting orders you should be able to order FTTC in a couple of weeks" The other thing I noticed is that BT have not installed a FTTC cabinet, the BT sales guy told me that new builds often have the FTTC and standard kit inside the one cabinet?

If anyone can shed some light on this I would appreciate it very much.

Thanks

Mike

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Mass confusion over FTTC!!

If you use this checker it will tell what cabinet you are on and what services it can receive.

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

If it does not show a cabinet number it will be because you are on an Exchange Only(EO) line. This means you can not get Infinity because you are not connected to a cabinet, instead you are connected directly to the exchange.

Sometime in the future Openreach may install a cabinet out side the exchange and this will allow EO lines to connect to a cabinet. This however is not high on their priority list so may take some time.

Use your phone number. If you don't have a BT number use the address checker. It is more accurate than the post code checker which can cover more than one cabinet.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 6

Enter your phone number and post results. Remember to delete number. https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

I would expect a new cabinet next to your existing cabinet and if not installed looks like a while before FTTC.  Normally you see when using checker that it is available not accepting irders which is what the exchange normally shows

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
und3adshr3d
Message 4 of 6

Thanks for the replies,

I've been on the wholesale checker and I'm on cabinet 68 which I can see at the end of the street. The only results the checker shows me is my ADSL stats which are 3.5 - 5Mbps. There's no mention of FTTC services on there.

Not sure why the checker suddenly changed to accepting orders but looks like it might have been a red herring and the works were for something else.

Oh well 😕

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 6

If you keep using the checker it will show you the anticipated date that the cabinet will go live and when orders are being accepted.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
lines_man
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 6

That info from the Council doesn't mention about putting in a RDSLAM, just ducting....

Also what the BT Say What you Want to Hear chap was saying is some new PCP's have a DSLAM built into them but you would know if it did as its a normal steel shell with what looks like a mini PCP shell stuck to its side......
0 Ratings