Did you mean: 
Highlighted
MattTing
Beginner
Message 1 of 20

Master Socket Query

Go to solution

Hi

I've searched the forums (which are v.informative), however found nothing that really gets to the route(r) cause of my problem. 

I have Fibre broadband to my home, which I moved to in November, but never had a proper installation - as I already had a HH5 Infinity router.  This house has lots of blind spots and signal is poor apart from very close to the router (50-70Mbps).

To sort this, I bought an ASUS AC88U and a DrayTek Vigor 130, which i connected to the Master Socket via the filter.  The issue I am having is that it does not show any signal to my PC when connected via LAN cable, I connected the LAN to the ASUS, via the Vigor, still no network.

However when I reconnect the BT Infinity HH5, everything works fine.  I suspect it's something to do with my master socket needing a proper installation of Broad band, but before I pay £130 for and engineer and £75 for a master socket, I wanted to make sure it wasn't something I haven't done.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
19 REPLIES 19
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 20

Re: Master Socket Query

Go to solution

If it works with the HH5 there will be nothing wrong with your master socket. I suspect it is user error. Did you set the modem and router up correctly so that it can work and authenticate with BT.

You need to use the user name BTHomehub@btbroadband.com and you can use any password you want. Most people just use BT

0 Ratings
MattTing
Beginner
Message 3 of 20

Go to solution

How do I do that?  when I connect the modem theres no internet signal at all.  apologies if this is very basic stuff

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 20

Go to solution

If the modem has not connected automatically and if you don't have the set up manual, you can go onto the draytek website you will get the user set up guide there.  Follow that guide.

http://www.draytek.co.uk/support/downloads

Once the router is connected you will need to follow the set up guide for that.

0 Ratings
Liam_
Expert
Message 5 of 20

Go to solution

Hi,

The DrayTek Vigor 130 works fine 'Out of the box' , no configuration needed.  I use one with Infinity.

The router internet connection page needs to be setup to connect with WAN port, PPPoE,  user name  bthomehub@btbroadband.com, password bt. It should now connect.

0 Ratings
brookheather
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 20

Go to solution

You could also just leave the HH5 connected (with wireless disabled) and configure the Asus router in access point mode to provide the wireless.  No need for the Vigor 130.

0 Ratings
Liam_
Expert
Message 7 of 20

Go to solution

@brookheather

The OP has bought the DrayTek and as its just a modem it's vastly superior to the Hub 5 modem component.  The router setup is fairly trivial.  See page 70 of the Asus AC88U manual.

0 Ratings
MattTing
Beginner
Message 8 of 20

Go to solution

pg 70 is in Francais!

I just ran through the setup process again - the Vigor lights all light up as they should with the DSL light on constantly.

I've connected this into the ASUS and the WAN light shows as pink - connect via LAN into the PC and still it shows "No Internet" based upon the PC's network settings.

I even reset the ASUS, still no joy. 

0 Ratings
Liam_
Expert
Message 9 of 20

Go to solution
0 Ratings
Liam_
Expert
Message 10 of 20

Go to solution

Oops, should have added the English manual is quite a bit down the page.  Not the Global one at the top.

0 Ratings