cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pauloh65
Beginner
Message 1 of 3

Master Socket Seems to be Faulty, Very Intense Crackling on Phone Line if the Socket is Touched

We've had problems with our broadband and subsequently our landline for a long time. We had an Openreach engineer come out about a month or two ago, he couldn't come inside, but he fixed a fault outside with a corroded joint that was slowing our internet/putting noise on the line. The broadband increased speed for a while but then dropped right back down. So I knew there was something else wrong, the broadband speed had dropped back down to 3mpbs download, despite paying for Fibre. 

So just this morning I tried changing the ASDL filter to see if that was the problem, and did a quiet line test and it had made no difference. So instead, I touched the master socket and picked it up (it's not attached to the wall) and the phone line started crackling very intensely and continuously just from a slight touch. The internet then turned itself off as well, which almost seems like something is loose. 

The internet didn't come back on until I pushed the lead back in, which seems like the connection is loose. The internet has actually went off again as I've been typing this and I've had to resort to using my phone as a hotspot. 

This is my master socketThis is my master socket

My question is; is this something I can change myself along with the wiring it connects to that brings it outside? Or is this something BT/Openreach would deal with? Which obviously isn't possible at the moment with the current situation as they aren't allowed to go inside homes. Also would I be charged for the call out?

Thank you. 

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
pauloh65
Beginner
Message 2 of 3

Re: Master Socket Seems to be Faulty, Very Intense Crackling on Phone Line if the Socket is Touched

Also I've just noticed in this box that is wired to go outside, there's these wires poking out and it generally looks quite frayed. 

I'm honestly a bit lost as to whether I can change all this stuff by myself Screenshot 2020-06-05 at 10.00.47.png

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 3

Re: Master Socket Seems to be Faulty, Very Intense Crackling on Phone Line if the Socket is Touched

if you do a bit DIY

then take out screws, remove bottom half and check wires are connected to terminals 2&5

the incoming openreach cable should be connected to terminal A&B on the back plate

make sure all connections are secure before putting front plate back

then check and see if line better  and no crackle

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings