cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rhiannon51
Message 1 of 6

Master socket in wrong room

Bear with me first post here and it may be a long one...

We recently signed up to BT while still in contact with Virgin. So phone line got switched but Virgin broadband & tv still worked. Couldn't get BT to work by plugging equipment in and multiple phone calls resulted in same answer "It is working" Not a major deal as I said we were still using our Virgin tv etc. Anyway with no help from BT I figure out our master socket is actually in the kids bedroom and not living room. So I call up and basically get told £130 to move the socket I refused that and ended up speaking to a manager. He advised cheapest way to do it would be to extend it as you can buy the stuff cheaper. 

My actual problem is that I have no clue what I'm supposed to be looking for or even have a clue how to do it myself. Like the socket has 2 holes will I need two different cables? Has anyone got any advice or could point me in the direction of the things I will need to buy etc? All I know is that he said copper not aluminium. 

Thank you in advance! 

Oh and quick edit I will need at least 10 meters of cable to reach where we need the hub etc to be. 

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
lnajr02
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 6

Re: Master socket in wrong room

What type of BT Master socket have you can you take a photo?
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

Hi @Rhiannon51 

Telephone extension socket kits are quite cheap and readily available. I have three extensions sockets around the house and were installed from these kits. My Smart Hub is connected to the extension socket in my office.

The kits are available in 10, 20, 30m lengths. Try a google or Amazon search for "telephone extension socket kit". Instructions are usually included.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Rhiannon51
Message 4 of 6

31g9n7dJ2+L._AC_SY400_.jpg

Mine is behind furniture but it's like this one with the 2 holes. 

0 Ratings
Rhiannon51
Message 5 of 6

Thank you I will try that now!
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6

this explains about your master socket and where to connect a data extension so you can get broadband at another socket

https://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/helpandsupport/how-toguides/howtoguides/downloads/NTE5C_Instru...

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings