cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 12

Master socket is in an inconvenient place but we have another port

Hi,

I have just set up my BT smart hub 2 at the master socket in my flat and the signal doesn't cover the whole flat well enough. 

The flat is a ground floor extension and we have two BT openreach ports in the flat. The master socket says "Master Socket 5C" and is (weirdly) in the rear extension rather than at the front of the flat. We also have an openreach port at the front of the flat (it's in the wall that is next to the street) - I don't know if it does anything.

The previous owners had used the front room as a bedroom so I don't know if they used the port in there at all, but we will be using the front room as an office and it will also have laptops, TV, XBOX, smart bulbs, etc - so it really needs good WiFi.

What is the best way to get our internet into the front room? I know we could use a BT Broadband Extender 600 Kit to extend the internet to the front of the flat using our power lines. However, as I understand it, this would just give us one ethernet port in the front room - what we really want is another wireless transmitter in the front room for laptops and other smart devices. 

Many thanks for your help

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Re: Master socket is in an inconvenient place but we have another ADSL port

@WiFiNeeded 

Have you tried plugging the Hub into the "other" socket?

Kind Regards
CJT80
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 12

Re: Master socket is in an inconvenient place but we have another ADSL port

Sorry I think I have confused my port labels in the original title of the post - we don't have an ADSL port in the front room. It's a phone socket in the front room.

I plugged in the hub in the front room through a microfilter. It flashed purple. 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 12

Re: Master socket is in an inconvenient place

If moving the hub up to 15 metres into the flat is sufficient and practicable, then an rj11 to rj11 lead  has worked well for me. There are also 25 metre leads, but I have no idea as to how well they work. 

See

https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Devices/Move-hub-further-from-socket/m-p/2126595

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 12

I'm afraid a long cable to move the router isn't really an option - the flat has a weird layout and an extra cable would need a lot of holes through the side of cupboards and also through a few walls.

Also, if I move the router to the midpoint of the two ports, the signal would still need to pass through solid brick walls in order to reach the rear extension. 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 12

can you connect a landline phone to the 'other' phone socket and see if there is a dial tone  as master is a filtered socket you cannot at present get internet.  if socket works then you could move the extension wiring in the master socket to the data terminals which would then give you internet as 'other' socket by using a filter then connecting hub

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 7 of 12

Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately I don't have a phone to plug in and test the front one.

With your suggestion to move the wiring, would that turn the socket at the front into the master socket? My concern is wouldn't that cause the reverse problem i.e. I wouldn't get good signal in the extension? What I really want is good signal in both rooms. I was hoping that maybe the two sockets would be wired together and I could have a transmitter (not sure the correct word) plugged into both sockets. 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 12

Just use a set of these https://shop.bt.com/products/bt-mini-wi-fi-home-hotspot-600-kit-084288-BVFF.html it will give you 2 Ethernet sockets and wifi.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 12

Thanks, I considered those but I've read that powerline and mesh connectors should be a last resort for gaming because they add much more latency. I want to run the Xbox in the front room so wouldn't it be best to have a wired connection into the front room? 

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 12

Then you will have to run an Ethernet cable between the 2 locations and site the hub at one location and Wireless Access point with Ethernet ports at the other.

0 Ratings