cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Superhoops1888
Beginner
Message 1 of 11

Master socket issues with new BT home hub 5...

Just moved to a new house, got new home hub 5 home installation... I've got a master socket, the new SSFP, Ethernet at top and phone connection at bottom of socket.

I've got it working very well with good speeds...

However, it's at the opposite end of my living room, the extension socket in the room in next to my tv etc and when I plug the home hub into the micro filter splitter as per the instructions it doesn't work!
It might be a poor extension connection and I will check it, however I have read that I won't get as good speeds with micro filter and extension as I do from my direct connection on my SSFP master socket...

So my question is what's the best way to extend or relocate my master socket in the room or extend the cable that come into the house so I can have my master socket SSFP in the other corner of the room?

Thanks
0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 11

Re: Master socket issues with new BT home hub 5...

If you've got a master socket with separate phone and broadband sockets, then the filter is built in to it.  That means that there is no broadband on any of your extensions.

There should be a set of data extension terminals that can be used to extend the broadband service to a data extension socket.  Be aware that just re-using your existing extension wiring for that might decrease your speed (or it might not).

0 Ratings
Superhoops1888
Beginner
Message 3 of 11

your right, i have a master socket with with the filter built in and the home hub 5 orks great...

i assume you mean the data extension terminals to be the socket at the bottom of my master socket with the extension cabnle that come out of it, that goes across the room over the sckiting boards to my TV area, when i then use a fecking micro filter to split the signal and the home bub now works like **bleep**...

my question is, whats the easy\best\simple\clever\smart way to extend the master socket/incoming cable, across the rooom to a master socket so my super dooper pooper scooper home hub works just as well?

is it a simple case of romoving the master socket, getting a length of phone wire, joining the 2 incoming wires together, tacking it around the room and re-locatng it on the other side of the living room?

or is that to simple?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 11

You could use broadband extenders.

http://www.shop.bt.com/mini-sites/bt-connected-home/broadband-extenders/

That would allow the home hub to remain where it is, and you can get Internet anywhere there is a mains socket.

0 Ratings
Superhoops1888
Beginner
Message 5 of 11

thanks keith, but there isnt a power socket anywhere neat my master socket, looking at all the houses in the street they are the same, the BY connection comes in at the front door, nowhere near a power socket and traditionally not where you put a TV phone or anything else except an umberella! well done BT...

oh i cant see your next part as im at work! not a BT connection...

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 11

If you have one of the new replacement master sockets from Openreach, then there should be a pair of terminals on the non-removable back-plate for connecting a data extension.  This isn't the same as the terminals on the removable faceplate for connecting phone extensions.

See http://phil.lavin.me.uk/2012/02/bts-uk-fttc-vdsl2-explained/ for diagrams.

The master socket, and all the wiring up to it, belong to Openreach.  They won't be happy if you fiddle with it to move the master socket elsewhere.  They normally charge £130 to do that themselves.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
lines_man
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 11

'nowhere near a power socket and traditionally not where you put a TV phone or anything else except an umberella! well done BT...'

BT don't install the Internal Wiring, that's done by the Developer who built the house...... A lot of the time they'll put the NTE as close to the UG lead in poin then install extension sockets in places closer to power outlets.....
0 Ratings
Superhoops1888
Beginner
Message 8 of 11

so get a BT guy to join the black wire that comes in to the house to the master socket to a new section of black wire for £130, or do it myself for £20... let me think about that...

not really interested if they arent happy!

0 Ratings
Superhoops1888
Beginner
Message 9 of 11

linesman for an inspiring expert your not very switched on!

i realise BT dont istall the internall wiring, im not talking about internal wiring, im on about the main wire that comes into the house, instead of locating it in the corner of the living room where up to 2010 most people put the TV they put it at the front door...

obviously since 2010 everybody wants the TV above the fireplace!

and since 2010 everybody wants broadband connected to TVs etc, so having the master socket at the front door nowhere near a mains power socket is as good as a chocolate fireguard...

if it helps i can draw a diagram?

0 Ratings
lines_man
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 11

No, you're not very switched on.... BT only install the line upto the external lead in where it meets the capping on the outside of the house...

The developer then installs the wiring from there to the NTE and then onto any additional extensions they put in.....

0 Ratings