cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Master socket relocation/extension cable

Hi everyone.

I have recently been connected however my hub is upstairs, and all my devices downstairs.

My master socket is 5C, and i have a BT Smarthub2. As far as i can see there is 2 ways of getting it downstairs, running a data extension cable from the master socket to the required location of hub downstairs or to get the master socket moved by an engineer which i believe is a cost to myself.

I would like to try running an extension from the socket first, as it would be no more than 5m. I would drop the cable directly below the master socket upstairs, through the ceiling into the room below. I'm struggling to find the correct cable and one of good quality. 

And if someone could confirm if the cost lays on me for master socket relocation? I'm supplied by a telegraph pole so presumably the reason the master is upstairs for the shortest distance but i wouldn't think running it externally down 2m would be worse than using an extension cable? 

Thanks!

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Master socket relocation/extension cable

if you have no intention of using the existing master then better moving it rather than data extension - unless you have extension sockets already running from your existing master

the cost of moving master is up to you but why not try a telecom engineer from your local papers much cheaper and probably quicker

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

Would it be possible for you to tell me the cable needed for extension? From my 5c master to smarthub 2

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

CW1308

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

My extension is run from the the inside data terminals of the master socket with cat 5 cable solid core type as used for structured computer networking (not a pre-made lead) with an rj11 plug crimped on the relevant pair at the modem end. Been in for a few years now.

0 Ratings