cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Prophet55
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 8

Mastersocket& modem inside: How do I provide a wired connection for my CCTV in the shed?

Hello,

I just need a little guidance for my wiring.

I currently have the NTE5c mastersocket and modem in the house and I basically need internet for my CCTV box which is in the shed outside.

I thought about having an ethernet cable directly from my modem running outside and into the CCTV box but is there an alternative way where I can wire something from the existing master socket and install an extension socket in the shed where I can just run an ethernet cable from the socket(in the shed) and into the CCTV box? 

In order to have internet does the cat5e cable have to be plugged into the modem? Apologies if it's a stupid question...

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
VeteranISPUser
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 8

Re: Mastersocket& modem inside: How do I provide a wired connection for my CCTV in the shed?

Hi @Prophet55  

If you have a mains electricity in your shed then you could consider powerline adapters. Just one example:

https://shop.bt.com/products/bt-broadband-extender-600-kit-084284-BVFL.html?refs=50910

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 8

Re: Mastersocket& modem inside: How do I provide a wired connection for my CCTV in the shed?

By modem I presume you mean router (hub). If the camera doesn't have wifi you either need to run Cat 5E ethernet or use powerline adaptors with an Ethernet interface to connect hub and camera. Yes,the camera needs tobe connected to a LAN port on the hub.

0 Ratings
Prophet55
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 8

I only have an extension lead into the shed so I am probably right assuming these do not work as they would not be on the same circuit?

0 Ratings
Prophet55
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 8

Yea I meant the hub, sorry. And thank you for your advice.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

As long as it is on the same consumer unit it should be ok.

0 Ratings
Prophet55
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 8

Can you elaborate a little buddy?

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 8

Connected to same fuse box/consumer unit.  All have to be on same circuit

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings