cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sue036
Contributor
Message 1 of 8

McAfee VirusScan - to update or not to update, that is the question...

Hi,

Windows has started giving me the following message almost every time I start my computer:-

"McAfee VirusScan has stopped working properly.

A newer version of this software is available for download that solves this problem. McAfee, Inc. recommends updating to take advantage of security and stability improvements."

.. followed by a link to the McAfee site.

However, when I ask BT NetProtect Plus it tells me that everything is up to date and working correctly.

So, which should I believe?

On the one hand I'd like to be sure I have the latest version, but on the other hand I don't want to download something independently of BT NetProtect Plus if that is going to give it (or, more importantly, me) a problem.

Can anyone explain why I am getting these messages and advise whether or not I should continue to ignore them?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 8

Re: McAfee VirusScan - to update or not to update, that is the question...

McAfee is more trouble than it's worth, particularly if you're paying extra for it; have a look at this. The general advice on this forum is to uninstall it and download one of the several good AVs available free on the internet (eg Microsoft Security Essentials, AVG, Avira) or use Windows Defender if you have Windows 8. If you change, be sure to run the McAfee removal tool after uninstalling.

I just got a new W8 laptop; removing all traces of the McAfee trial that came with it was my first job after initial set up.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Sue036
Contributor
Message 3 of 8

I'm not paying for it, except insofar as the cost is included in my BT Broadband. It just came as part of BT NetProtect Plus.

I have Windows Vista Home Premium.

I wouldn't know how to disentangle it from BT NetProtect Plus, if that is what you are saying I should do?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

My advice and that of others on the forum would be to uninstall BTNetprotect. It can cause problems on some computers and is a resource hog. Do a search of the forum to see the problems. There are far better free antivirus programs available such as Avast Free and AVG Free or Microsoft Security Essentials.

If you do want to uninstall BTNetprotect use this guide and make sure you use the BTNetprotect/McAfee removal tool after you have restarted your computer.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13523

If you then search for any of the free antivirus and download it and follow the prompts. Other than searching for the antivirus program don't use the Internet until you have a antivirus installed.

If you do want to re use BT Netprotect, uninstall it using this guide along with the BTNetprotect/McAfee removal tool after a restart and then reinstall. This might resolve your problem.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/38369/

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 8

Or, if you happen to bank with Barclays, take them up on the free Kaspersky AV offer.

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 6 of 8

PcPro just rated Kaspersky top in AV ratings (but with a caveat for slower machines). McAfee was bottom, as usual, resource hog and lowest ability to detect viruses.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 8

Sue036 wrote:

I wouldn't know how to disentangle it from BT NetProtect Plus, if that is what you are saying I should do?

The McAfee Removal Tool link I posted tells you how to uninstall the AV. I've never activated the BT product but understand there are other elements, which would also disappear when you run the tool. Others here may be able to tell you if anything you want can be installed without the AV.

I would decide on a replacement before removing McAfee rather than search without a working AV.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 8

I fully agree about decide on what AV you want before uninstalling BTNetprotect but you can not download and install it untill BT Netprotect is removed or it can cause serious problems.

If BTNetprotect is corrupted and not working I don't think it will make any difference if you search before or after un installing it.
0 Ratings