cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MesterToU
Beginner
Message 1 of 13

McAfee WebAdvisor

OK, I know a few folk like other products, but on the whole I'm happy to use McAfee BT NetProtectPlus and whenever I use malwarebytes to double check, it has never found anything. (Of course, that still doesn't mean I'm 100% safe).

The thing that bugs me is that I can never find any useful information about stuff when I want to.

Here's the latest thing, McAfee WebAdvisor. New today on Win7, first download I go to. I get a notification;

dangeraux.jpg

OK, it's a Russian site, but I have been there before and I "Accept the risk."

Then nothing, download stuck at %0.

Finally I find McAfee Security History and it states that;

The PC XX.XXX.XXX.XXX tried to connect to tcp port XXXXXX without your permisson.

Finally, I have enough info to now search the net to see what it is all about. And I'm still none the wiser after searching.

Except someone mentioned Firewall and I suppose I now have to Accept the risk and turn the firwall off while I download this file.

Still no download. Sugar !

My gripe, you ask ?

Well, it's having the tools but no information on how to use them or how to understand them.

Supply us with a manual or a link to some information about the tools and how they work.

Of course I could be missing some forum that deals purely with BT NetProtectPlus as the whole BT site is a challenge in itself to navigate, forum an' all.

Rant over.

And now I get a message as I try to post this......

Please correct the highlighted errors and try again.

• Post flooding detected (community received posts of a unique message more than 1 times within 3,600 seconds)

I may have clicked on Post twice because I got no immediate feeling that it worked first time.

Oh aye, and some of the links on the forum only work if I click on the underline rather than the text.

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 13

Re: McAfee WebAdvisor

many posters here recommend not using net protect as it is a resource hog and there are many better free antivirus programmes available
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 13

My advice and that of others on the forum would be to uninstall BTNetprotect. It can cause problems on some computers and is a resource hog. Do a search of the forum to see the problems. There are far better free antivirus programs available such as Avast Free and AVG Free.

If you do want to uninstall BTNetprotect use this guide and make sure you use the BTNetprotect/McAfee removal tool after you have restarted your computer.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13523

If you do want to keep using it you should try the McAfee forum for an answer to your problem as there is little or no information on this forum or the BT help pages.

0 Ratings
MesterToU
Beginner
Message 4 of 13

It's only probably every couple of months that I notice a slight impact from it and I can live with it. Mind if someone were to show me increased power usage and great monetary savings with alternate antivirus programmes, I might have a look at it again.

0 Ratings
MesterToU
Beginner
Message 5 of 13

Also bear in mind my main gripe at the moment relates to the introduction of this new WebAdvisor, which I can uninstall anyway if it annoys me too much.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 13

it is not power usage it is a memory hog and can slow many PC's down and there are many free anti virus programmes
0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 7 of 13

@MesterToU wrote:

Also bear in mind my main gripe at the moment relates to the introduction of this new WebAdvisor, which I can uninstall anyway if it annoys me too much.

If your computer has the capacity to run NetProtect, which may be questionable, then Site Adviser is a good add-on (if and when it works).

These website advisers use a reputation database given other users' reports, and again (if it works) it's usually reliable, but only as good as what has been put in to it.

If it's windows 7, right click in the bottom RHS notification (blank) area and launch task manager > performance.

You'll see how much memory and processing time is being used, and whether the pc has to resort to page file for memory.

In the past I had to install extra ram chips to increase memory capacity - up to a limit!

0 Ratings
_dreamer_
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 13

According  to Mcafees community forum, Web advisor is the new name from Site Advisor. You can change settings for it by going to

untitled.png

You can of course always remove it but if you're happy with is so be it

Hope that helps

0 Ratings
MesterToU
Beginner
Message 9 of 13

Having a job doing multiple quotes and editing on here.

Thanks _dreamer_, nothing actually happens when I click on them, but I'll investigate.

Quote john46
"it is not power usage it is a memory hog and can slow many PC's down and there are many free anti virus programmes"

Quote Ribblelancs 
"If your computer has the capacity to run NetProtect, which may be questionable, then Site Adviser is a good add-on (if and when it works).

These website advisers use a reputation database given other users' reports, and again (if it works) it's usually reliable, but only as good as what has been put in to it."

I've said I'm happy with NetProtectPlus and that it is only noticeable once every couple of months. That indicates that it runs fine on my computer, that I have enough memory and that my pcs capacity is not in question.

I mentioned power usage because some bright spark might chip in and say that I'm using twice as much electricity with NPP running as I would with one of these other AV programmes. Or to refine it, if someone shows that I can save a fair ammount of money on electricity bill by using another AV programme then I might be interested.

I used to use Site Advisor, but this thread relates to WebAdvisor (the new version of Site Advisor).

Maybe someone else will drop by and put some questions up about it, especially now that WebAdvisor shows up in the forum search.

Should I continue to use it, maybe I'll learn more about it and be in a position to to offer hands on advice on this very forum.

0 Ratings
_dreamer_
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 13

Are you using internet explorer, if so click where indicated, scroll down to Mcafee Web advisor and  you can change the setting to a site you trust.

0 Ratings