Did you mean: 
Highlighted
DavidH
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 7

McAfee freezing at 98% of scan

Go to solution

Hi,

My McAfee (BT) has started to freeze on both my PC and laptop when almost completing the scan.

Has anyone else started to get this problem in the last few days?

Any help apprieciated!

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: McAfee freezing at 98% of scan

Go to solution

My advice and that of others on the forum would be to uninstall BTMcAfee/Netprotect. It can cause problems on some computers and is a resource hog. Do a search of the forum to see the problems. There are far better free antivirus programs available such as Avast Free and AVG Free.

If you do want to uninstall BTNetprotect use this guide and make sure you use the BTNetprotect/McAfee removal tool after you have restarted your computer.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13523

If you do want to re use BT Netprotect, uninstall it using this guide along with the BTNetprotect/McAfee removal tool after a restart and then reinstall. This might resolve your problem.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/38369/

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

I have had a similar problem ever since I bought my windows 8.1 laptop a year ago. Scan hangs at 99%  c:rootkit.

After countless uninstalls/re-installs, I have found a solution!

It is a Mcafee issue, and although it doesn't say it pertains to BT Netprotect, I followed the instructions and have now completed my first full scan since buying my laptop!!!!

click below and good luck !!

http://service.mcafee.com/faqdocument.aspx?id=TS102052

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

A full year with this problem and you are sticking with BTNetprotect/McAfee. Good luck until the next problem!!

0 Ratings
wedd1ng528
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

Over the past 6 or so years we have had 4 laptops running variously Vista, XP, Windows 7 and Windows 8/8.1. Each one of those laptops has had Macafee preinstalled and each one has had various problems related to Macafee. I think Macafee must pay the various manufacturers lots of money to have their product installed. As noted earlier in this thread get rid of Macafee (but follow the procedure carefully - Macafee seems to act like a virus and installs bits of itself in various places on your computer). Google for Macafee removal tools and download that and run it. I have always installed Comodo as a firewall/antivirus program (there is a free version that we have always found to be good and reliable and is not a resource hog) and have never had any problems with it. However, there are a good few other programs that are free and are, I'm sure, every bit as good. Just get rid of Macafee.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Mistakes and embarrasing goofs in e-mails are only discovered when you've sent them!
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution
I have posted the removal tool link in my first post. It works for both BTNetprotect and McAfee which are more or less the same product and are equaly as bad.
0 Ratings
DavidH
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

Thanks for the link Janet 🙂

0 Ratings