Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Adamsheff
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 2

Mesh IPv6

Hi all,

I am looking for a mesh wifi network that works with BT IPv6, other than BT Whole Home.

From reading online I can see that Google wifi, Eeros, Plume and Amplifi do not support IPv6 at all. Netgear Orbi seems to support IPv6 but doesn't do Ethernet connection between nodes.

The leaves me with ASUS Hivespot and Linksys Velop. Hivespot is not available until Q2 2017 so Velop seems to be the only option for now, that suits my needs. ASUS seems to work with BT IPv6 so it's a shame it's not available yet.

I know guys here seem to have had trouble with IPv6 on linksys routers due to the delegated prefix problems. But the latest Velop firmware released a few weeks ago has, 'Added Ethernet and BT auto onboarding support'. Do people know what this means? I am hoping auto-configuration of the delegated prefix...! Which seems to be the major problem in compatibility with BT IPv6.

Thanks in advance!
Tags (1)
0 Ratings
1 REPLY 1
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 2

Re: Mesh IPv6

One thing to bear in mind here is that you're not neccessarily comparing like products. The BT Whole Home WiFi is a WiFi only solution that needs to be connected to a router. That router performs the IPv4 NAT, DHCP, IPv6, firewalling etc., and either also has a VDSL modem as part of it, or it is connected to a VDSL modem. I don't know about all the other products you mention, but most seem to be both mesh WiFi solution and home routers.

In terms of IPv6 support, you simply need the vendor to ensure that the router supports DHCPv6 Prefix Delegation (as per RFC 3633) and that the prefix length can be specified and is not 'hard set' at a /64. For BT the IPv6 prefix delegated is a /56.

This is not simply a BT IPv6 'thing'. In the UK Sky also delegate a /56. In the US, Comcast and Time Warner currently delegate /56 or /60.

The idea of delegating a /64 is a recommendation dating back as far as 2001 in RFC 3177 which specified that IPv6 addresses assigned to end sites should be fixed lengths of /48, /64 or /128. Presumably the ISP and router vendors considered a /48 was too large for residential use and so settled on the /64.

A more recent update is RFC 6177 which argues that the fixed lengths are too restrictive and that other prefix lengths should be used. The RFC makes the point that a key principle is that residential users are delegated "at least one /64, and in most cases significantly more."

Any vendor that doesn't support IPv6 with delegated prefix other than /64 is restricting themselves from a huge part of the market.

Regards

0 Ratings