cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Mesh System - Fibre 900

Hi,

I will be getting Fibre 900 next week, upgrading from Fibre100. I have always just used the BT hub, I currently have the SH2 which is delivering around 130mb wirelessly to my workstation which is great considering the speeds fibre100 delivers

Now that I am getting Fibre900, im unsure if I should just continue with SH2 or get another router or mesh system? The most I would like to spend is around £170-£200. From experience, with this price range would I be better off getting a new router or a mesh system?

I understand I will not get the most out of Fibre900 when using wireless, but generally speaking what sort of speeds could i expect from wireless?

Thanks

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: Mesh System - Fibre 900

@Jsingh69 I’d wait and see how happy you are first with Fibre900 and SH2. 

It’s not long to the Black Friday 2021 sales where you might pick up a bit of a bargain for the price range you have in mind if you want to try a new router and/or a mesh setup.

I went for a mix of UniFi UDM (used as a router and backup Wi-Fi if ever needed) and an Orbi mesh. The Orbi has been rock solid in performance and reliability with around 450/100 wirelessly everywhere in the house. It would be faster with Wi-Fi 6 or a wired connection.

Enjoy your new Fibre900!

Message 3 of 9

Thanks for the info

Im not sure if my inner self can wait that long.. 😀

Anything like the Orbi or Asus Zen are more than im willing to spend, unless they offer some absolutely crazy discounts.

Im considering the TP-LINK Deco M9, currently up for 259 on Currys and I have a £50 voucher from work.. do you have any knowledge on these? Im getting missed signals on the set up for these, am I correct in thinking with FTTP, I can just plug this straight into the ONT?

I could go for one of the Orbis or Asus Zen but it would need to be a single unit, so im not sure if this would be worthwhile? 

thanks again mate

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

Yes you can plug the M9 straight into the ONT and setup as pppoe. You could also have your M9 in access point mode and connected to the SH2. If you have any smart devices like Ring I’d check for any problems before purchasing any mesh network and yes better with > 1 node.

In the past there’s been some good Amazon discounts for Orbi around Black Friday but if you have a Curry’s voucher and want to buy now the M9 looks pretty good to me.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

Thanks

So it got installed today and to my surprise im getting around 480mb wireless at my workstation using the SH2. Realistically speaking, would you imagine I would see much more than this if I was to get any mesh system using wifi? 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

Probably not and even if you did, to what use would you put the extra speed?

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

Thanks - I thought not and my thoughts exactly. Im glad I didnt just go out and spend £hundreds needlessly.

I've never had any issues for the BT hubs, guess I just read into the SH bashing comments far too much and thought I would have issues with my jump in speed. 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

Sounds like a result @Jsingh69  you’ll be glad you waited to see how how things went.

At least you’ve now got the option to spend the saved £££ on something else 🙂

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

I think I may have spoken too soon!

In real world while wfh all day today, my laptop keeps randomly connecting to 2.4ghz rather than 5ghz making me drop to 13-14mbps and sometimes low single digits.

Easily fixed by just disabling my wi-fi and turning it back on my laptop and it re-connects to 5ghz and the speed troubles are gone but a hassle non the less.

I think im going to have to bite the bullet and get something instead of faffing around with a different SSID for 5ghz.

0 Ratings