cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

Mesh routers

Go to solution

I’ve got a BT HH5 and, due to flaky coverage in some areas of my house, am considering a mesh router setup. I’ve not yet decided on make, but it’s between the Linksys Velop, Netgear Orbi, and Synology MR2200ac. I’m leaning towards the Synology units because of the superb software SRM 1.2. 

Given that they all work in a similar fashion and they all recommend that the WiFi on combined modem/routers (such as the HH5) is turned off, does anyone have any experience (good or bad!) with hooking up a mesh system to a BT HH5?

For the wired connection between the HH5 and first mesh unit would I use the red WAN socket on the HH5 or one of the yellow ones? Also, what credentials would I need to provide to the mesh setup? Would it be the default bthomehub@btbroadband.com? What would the password be?

Thanks in advance for any help

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Mesh routers

Go to solution

Welcome to this user forum.

To be quite honest, its much easier and cheaper to just use additional wireless hotspots in the parts of the house that have poor coverage.

Like these https://www.shop.bt.com/products/bt-mini-wi-fi-home-hotspot-600-multi-kit-084289-BVFH.html

They give a wireless hotspot, a guest wireless network if needed, and two Ethernet ports each.

If you start delving into mesh systems, then you are going to add extra complications, but the choice is yours.

You cannot use the WAN port on the HH5, as that is for connection to a modem. If you use a LAN port, then all you are doing is adding expensive wireless access points, which may not be in a convenient position to ensure they can communicate, and you can access the Eternnet port(s).

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

Not sure I agree with Keith.  Wireless hotspots may be cheaper but a mesh system gives you more reliable roaming due to robust hand off protocols between the nodes. To answer your specific question, I don’t think the HH5 can be put into modem only mode so you need the mesh system to work in AP mode (for the Orbi anyway) so the HH does all the routing.  You therefore don’t need log ons etc.  

In  my experience the Orbi works really well like this and gives a fantastic Wi-Fi experience around my complicated house.  I had hotspots before but they always caused problems so  I am very happy with my Orbi.  I have also tried the Smarthub 2 BT mesh system and that worked well and was very simple to set up.

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

I agree with you about the advantages of mesh systems - that's why I'm considering one! Disappointing that it's not possible to run the HH5 in modem-only mode as it seems that may limit some of the mesh router functionality. I suppose that purchase of a separate VDSL modem would be one solution, but it will add to the already quite expensive cost of the mesh equipment.

I've decided to give the BT "Complete WiFi" system a try, given that there's a guarantee that I'll get a strong signal in every room.

Thanks for your input.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

So I have just plumed for the Linksys Velop Tri Band as it was on good BF deal. Having set my BT SH1 to modem only and attaching the Linksys its operational. 

Memo - Manually update Linksys firmware via pc not phone app before setting up child notes. Was onto support for a while getting this done..!! They were very good.

24hrs in Mesh is miles faster in the house and no blackspots than my SH1. Was offered BT SH2 and connection but read that this mesh was better. Pleased I went to this system so far. Have devices connecting in 545Mbps in house, clearly that then only as good as route out via BB line. But given where we were... Progress 

Have noticed a drop in BB speed reported from Linksys to BT SH they are about 4MB different in speed. So that's todays challenge see why it's dropping that much on a CAT6 connection

0 Ratings