cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 12

Mesh system

Hi i have a BT Smart Hub 2 with 3 Black WiFi discs which are not bad but devices don't move to the clsest disc or the router when you move around the which means devices tend to be connected to a disc or hub thats no where near where you are. I am looking to replace them with a TP link S4 mesh system but it says i have to diasble Wifi on my hub which i have seen how to do. Does my Hub still keep the same network name as i have given mine a new one. I am asking because i can't find any decent help anywhere about setting these up with my smart hub 2.

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Re: Mesh system

Not sure I understand the question, if you have turned wifi off on the SH2 it won't be broadcasting a network name. SSIDs (network names) are just a label to identify which device you are connecting to and have no other significance.

If you are intending to use the S4 in router mode, bear in mind the SH2 doesn't have a modem only mode, simply turning off the wifi and DHCP doesn't turn it into a modem.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 12

Thats why i asked the question because i don't understand it. From what i have read you have to turn the WIFi off on your router. So you are saying i can't use another mesh system with SH2 as it can't be used in modem only mode which leaves me a bit stuck as the BT discs are not that good as once a device attaches itself to a disc it doesn't tend to move to another one, surely devices should attach to the nearest disc.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 12

@Pip601967 wrote:

Hi i have a BT Smart Hub 2 with 3 Black WIFI discs which are not bad but devices don't move to the clsest disc or the router when you move around the which means devices tend to be connected to a disc or hub that's no where near where you are.

I think you will find that its the case with all mesh systems, as the closest disc may not actually have the best routing back to the gateway. Its more complex than just looking at signal strength, as the software in a mesh system creates an individual path for each device.

I have Tenda Nova Mesh, with a lot of devices connected, and quite often the CCTV cameras connect to a more distant node as that gives the best frame rate.

Also not all devices are capable of roaming, and its often necessary to disconnect and then re-connect the wireless connection on a device, to break down the path, and establish a new one, usually to the nearest node, provided that node is not already fully utilised.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 12

It is the device that decides which wifi source to connect to, not the wifi source.

It entirely depends on what you want to do how you configure things.

I am not familiar with the S4, but it can apparently be used in either router mode (in which case you need a separate modem) or in access point mode (in which case you need a separate modem/router).

In either mode, I suspect the only reason for turning off the wifi on the hub is because it won't form part of the mesh network.

If you use the S4 in access point mode, the hub will provide the routing and DHCP server and nothing needs to change other than turning off wifi if you wish.

If you use the S4 in router mode, it will be more complicated as you will be double natting as the hub doesn't have a modem only mode.

It was your original question regarding network names that didn't make sense to me.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 12

Ok Keith thats usefull to know. So i just wonder if anyone can tell me what i would need to do to connect a TP Link S4 mesh system to my SH2 though as it seems very confusing to me.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 12

If you use it in access point mode, you simply connect the first S4 to the hub by Ethernet cable.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 12

What broadband service do you have? If you have full fibre to your house (FTTP), then you don't need to use the hub at all and can connect the S4 in router mode directly to the ONT.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 12

Thanks Liquorice just watched tp link video they connected it to the wireless router as an access point but they set up a new wifi network for the tp links themselves. So that sounds ok to me but what happens to the wireless signal from the SH2 and how does that affect the BT SH2 Manager.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 12

It's entirely up to you if you want to leave the hub WiFi on as a separate WiFi network or not. You will still be able to connect to the hub manager via the TP Link devices whether the hub WiFi is on or off.

I think you may be confusing WiFi SSIDs with IP networks. As long as all devices are on the same IP subnet, it doesn't matter what the WiFi network is called, or indeed if there are multiple WiFi networks.

0 Ratings