cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Mesh wifi with BT Smart Hub + Asus RT-AC67u

Go to solution

This has been an absolute nightmare. I know i've got to be doing something wrong. I have FTTP, my router as the title suggests is the BT Smart Hub (type A) and I have two Asus RT-AC67u aimesh units. 

My intention is simply to have the ai mesh units set up so that we can clear up some dead zones in the house. But with many attempts without any success. 

I have big old white box on the wall with an ethernet going from that white box to the smart hub wan, if this helps. Can anyone help? 

Thank you and God bless. 

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
brookheather
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 8

Re: Mesh wifi with BT Smart Hub + Asus RT-AC67u

Go to solution

You don't need to use the BT SmartHub - just connect one of the Asus routers to the ONT using the WAN port.  You then configure a PPPoE connection on the Asus using default BT credentials.

Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

Thanks @brookheather for the speedy reply. Yeah so i've tried this; connecting straight from the open reach terminal straight into the wan. But you're saying i dont need the smart hub at all? If i remember correctly, i'm unable to even reach the asus router page. I'll give it another go and I'll come back to let you know if it's worked. Thanks! 

0 Ratings
brookheather
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

Disconnect everything and just connect one Asus RT-AC67U to the ONT.  Factory reset the Asus router.  Connect wired or wirelessly to the router and go to the admin page at 192.168.1.1.  You should then be able to configure the router and get it connect to the internet.  Once you've done that add the second AC-67U router - when setting it up make sure it is in the same room initially - once setup you can move it another room.

(I have a similar setup with FTTP and several AC67U/AC68U AiMesh routers).

Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

Thank you so much @brookheather ! This has solved the issues i was having, however, i'm having much slower connection to my work pc. I have a wall plug situated right next to the router downstairs with the connecting wall plug upstairs in my study. I was regularly getting 90-100+ Mbps download speeds but now it's 70 and below, frequently. Any ideas?  

0 Ratings
brookheather
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

What do you mean by wall plugs - are you using powerline adapters to connect the two Asus routers?  Have you tried just using the wireless AiMesh - i.e. allow the the two Asus routers to connect wirelessly instead of using powerline adapters?

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

No, so from the Asus router I have an ethernet going into a powerline adapter (wallplug) and then upstairs my pc is connected to another wallplug via ethernet. The whole system works but it's slower than the previously.

0 Ratings
brookheather
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

Run a speed test while connected either wired or wireless on 5GHz to the main Asus router to confirm your FTTP speeds.  If your speeds are fine then not sure why you would see a slower speed between your powerline adapters.  Make sure that any QoS is disabled as this would affect your speed tests.  Also make sure you have applied the latest router firmware update.

0 Ratings