cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
spec_d
Contributor
Message 1 of 13

Microwave Oven 2.4Ghz interference & Smart hub 2 not switching to 5 Ghz

Our new microwave oven is causing interference that affects my PC and phones as they are around 2 metres in bedroom directly above microwave in kitchen.

I'm addressing that with the manufacturers as no previous unit has had this impact.

Why aren't my phone and PC switching to the 5Ghz signal from the smart hub 2 if the 2.4 Ghz signal is lost?

Are there any tweaks I should do to the smart hub2 or just go back to the old HH6 and manually use the 5Ghz signal?

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 13

Re: Microwave Oven 2.4Ghz interference & Smart hub 2 not switching to 5 Ghz

have you tried changing the channel for the 2.4ghz network

if you want to force the 5ghz then just turn off the 2.4ghz network in the hub

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 13

Its your phone and PC which decide what band to use not the Hub.

Message 4 of 13

Microwave ovens are increasing in power now. Hence the stray radiation increases.

From past and current experience, disable the 2.4 GHz on your hub. If you are only using the microwave for a few minutes, then don’t use devices while microwave is in use. It’s much simpler than setting up during that microwave duration. It shouldn’t affect your landline telephone.......

This shows itself if you have a kitchen tv, where you have a wireless transmitter from the main tv. You have to buy a 5Ghz transmitter and align very carefully...

0 Ratings
spec_d
Contributor
Message 5 of 13

I'll say it again....
Why aren't my phone and PC switching to the 5Ghz signal from the smart hub 2 if the 2.4 Ghz signal is lost?
0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 13

Ask the manufacturer of those devices.

spec_d
Contributor
Message 7 of 13

That would lose connection for my 2.4 Ghz only devices......
0 Ratings
spec_d
Contributor
Message 8 of 13

Yup, the microwave is a 1000w unit. Our last one was 800w.
My PC/ phone are upstairs and with everyone working from home the microwave is getting a fair bit of use.
Landline is fine????
I undestood "complete wifi" from the single wifi network of the "smarthub2" was going to allow shifting from 2.4 to 5 Ghz in event of signal issues. I can get 5 Ghz, albeit weaker, in the bedroom office, I don't undertasnd why my devices aren't shifting to the higher frequency?
Am I misunderstanding the capabilities of the new hub? If so then I'll switch back to the HH6 instead and have more control over which freq. I use.
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 13

As already posted it is the devices that should be changing from 2.4 to the 5ghz network  the hub is broadcasting both 2.4/5ghz but it is not up to the hub to decide which network a device connects that is up to the device. The principle is the same for the hh6

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
spec_d
Contributor
Message 10 of 13

So I need to switch off the 2.4 Ghz hub signal and get the PC & iphone to connect to the 5 Ghz BSSID? I thought the SH2 SSID was broadcasting both BSSIDs out and the devices could pick either when one signal died off.
As the 2.4 Ghz BSSID is strongest in the room then I take it that's all they have ever associated to, since the SH2 was installed?

0 Ratings