cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aok
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 6

Mini Connector

I have a HH6.  I have used BT Broadband Flex 500 to watch the sports channels on YouView box.  I connected a mini connector with one of the Flex 500 powerline plugs and was able to get an ethernet connection upstairs.  This was working fine and then suddenly stopped.

The connected computer says "Unidentified network" and there is no data light on the mini connector (the power and ethernet lights are on).

I have tried resetting the mini connector and re connecting to the Flex 500 powerline plug but nothing seems to work.

Help would be much appreciated.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Mini Connector

@Aok 

You cannot have two powerline systems connected to the same mains distribution, as they will interfere with each other.

0 Ratings
Aok
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 6

Keith

Thanks for your reply.  I would like to better understand the position so I can find best way to solve it:

1) Do you have any thoughts on why it worked for several weeks without any problems before it stopped working,

2) I got all of the items from BT the Flex 500 and the mini connectors.  Are you saying that these dont work together?

3) If they arent going to work together, which should I replace as I am going to need more than 1 extended ethernet point.  I need to have one extension point for the TV and another couple for computer.

Thanks

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

You would normally use the mini connectors to connect the home hub to the TV, as that what they are designed for

You may be able to pair the Flex 500 with the mini connectors if they are working to the same standard. That would be the way to do it, not the other way around.

If you need additional Ethernet connections in the same room, then an Ethernet switch is all you need.

The main thing is that you must never connect more than one powerline device to the home hub.

0 Ratings
Aok
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 6

Keith

Thanks for taking time to reply.

What is the difference between a mini connector and the Flex 500 (which I think is the powerline).

I currently have the hub connected to Flex 500 and my tv connected to another Flex 500.  I then have  a mini connector upstairs to which my computer is connected.

I think you are saying I should connect the mini connectors to the hub and then connect 1 powerline plug to a mini connector.  Could I add more mini connectors as I would like ethernet connection in different rooms (downstairs and upstairs).

Thanks

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6

How many mini connectors do you have, is it just a single pair?

They all use the mains wiring, and you would normally have one master unit (mini connector) connected to the home hub, and all other units would be paired to that single master unit.

The way you have them connected, is likely to cause problems.

0 Ratings