cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 83

Re: Mitel Office IP Phone DHCP Discovery Issue

Yeah I am able to get internet access absolutely fine and my laptop shows in the hub manager, I plugged my laptop in via Ethernet cable and it picks up internet so it works. Just won’t send an IP address to my phone as you’ve said.

I have factory reset my phone with my IT department and set it all up again and that hasn’t worked 😞

There was a mess up with my order so at the moment I have two business hubs plugged in at home, one plugged into fibre to the house (open reach box on the wall) and one plugged into the cabinet via a splitter in my house.

Do you think I need a different router?
0 Ratings
Message 12 of 83

Is the fibre to the house going to be the final connection, and is that the one you are using, as that would be the best one to use, as there are plenty of  third party wireless routers that will work with this type of connection? I am aware that the BT hubs do have issues with their internal DHCP software, as I have come across this before, where it does not reply to certain formatted DHCP requests.

It really sounds like a mess up with the orders ☹️

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 83

I can use either routers (need to send one back but the engineer plugged both in yesterday). If I use the fibre to the house and get a third party router, will this definitely make my phone pick up an IP to get rid of the DHCP Discovery message?

I need to close the duplicate business account they have set me up with and cancel the duplicate monthly payment plan but every time I call I get cut off so not sure what to do 😞
0 Ratings
Message 14 of 83

The fibre to the house connection should be the most reliable. What speed is the connection supposed to be, as that would determine the type of wireless router you would need?

There are plenty of wireless routers as they are more common than modem/router combinations.

One of the cheapest is this one, less than £20. The interface is only 100Mbs, so if you have a faster fibre connection, then that may restrict your speed if you need a very fast connection, however it would prove whether its the BT hub which is causing the problem.

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/wifi-router/tl-wr841n/

There is an emulator here https://emulator.tp-link.com/TL-WR841ND_V8/Index.htm

Do you know whether BT have issued you with a static or dynamic public IP address?

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 83

How do I find out my speed? Sorry not very good with technology haha 🙂

Also how would I plug my Ethernet cable into the back of that wireless router? My IP phone isn’t wireless.

They have issued me with a static IP address but only on one of the routers
0 Ratings
Message 16 of 83

The speed would be shown on your order confirmation.

A wireless router is just a term used, it also has LAN ports on it, so you do not have to use wireless.

You would need to know what type of connection you have. I would suspect that it would be a dynamic IP address, unless you had requested a static IP address.

You would also need to know the login PPPoE details for your BT Business account, as I think it may be different for each customer, unlike the BT Home Hub which uses the same login for every user.

You must appreciate that this is really out of the scope of this forum, and I am just using my own networking experience, as many of the other forum members here do.

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 83

I really think that your company IT department should be sorting this out rather than leaving it to you to resolve. Just blindly saying that it is a BT problem is just abdicating responsibility.

Message 18 of 83

@licquorice wrote:

I really think that your company IT department should be sorting this out rather than leaving it to you to resolve. Just blindly saying that it is a BT problem is just abdicating responsibility.

@licquorice 

Agreed. I cannot se it being a BT network issue, but would not rule out an issue with the BT hub not liking the format of the DHCP request. I have seen this before.

0 Ratings
Message 19 of 83

I know it’s a bloody pain!! I’ve spent so much time trying to sort this but it’s odd that it has worked with me EE router when I was with them
0 Ratings
Message 20 of 83

@meg_ wrote:
I know it’s a bloody pain!! I’ve spent so much time trying to sort this but it’s odd that it has worked with me EE router when I was with them

Which would tend to point to a router issue and not a network issue.

What router did you have with EE?

0 Ratings