cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 22

Mk3 Openreach socket as an extension of master socket?

Hi

I recently moved to a 1980s house which has a (functional) master socket near the front room door. On the other side of the room is a Mk3 Openreach socket which is wired, with a partially-concealed cable around the edge of the room, into the original master socket.

Currently I've got my router plugged into the Mk3 socket and it seems fine and the expected speed, but is this the correct setup? Should the router be plugged into the master socket (with filter of course)? If so, should the Mk3 socket be removed as it won't be required and is unnecessarily hard-wired into the master socket?

Thanks.

0 Ratings
21 REPLIES 21
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 22

Re: Mk3 Openreach socket as an extension of master socket?

it will depend on how the extension is wired as it could be ok if wired as a data extension just for the router

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 22

Thanks - do you know how I could tell if it's just a data extension?

The Mk3 socket, with its built-in filter, works with both phone and broadband so seems to be for more than just a router (but maybe whoever installed it wasn't intending on actually using it for phone as well?).

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 22

does the original master work?  is the mk3 wired as an extension probably to front of original master

if it works ok and speed fine then I would just leave it unless you want it moved/removed

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 22

@davidw87wrote:

Thanks - do you know how I could tell if it's just a data extension?

AFAIK, the data extension will have just one RJ-45 port (not RJ-11 which is used for telephony) on the faceplate.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 22

@Techwizz

it will depend on who wired up the extension and in this case it does not appear to have been openreach as they would not put 2 master sockets on one conenction

Highlighted
Beginner
Message 7 of 22

@imjollywrote:

does the original master work?  is the mk3 wired as an extension probably to front of original master

if it works ok and speed fine then I would just leave it unless you want it moved/removed

Yes the original master works. The Mk3 wire seems to enter the bottom of the master, as does another extension wire which goes into the dining room.

My Home Hub has been playing up (randomly rebooting and wifi not working properly) so I replaced it with a TP-Link at the weekend. Works fine so far, although DSL dropped and reconnected at 5am today according to logs.

I may plug the router straight into the original master, with a filter.

See below an image of the setup (using photos I found online as I'm not home at the moment). The arrows denote the cables!

Thanks.

bvbdcsxcfhb.PNG

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 22

I would be switching the mk3 and the old master making the mk3 first socket and any extensions then wired back to the front of the mk3 master  router then conencted to mk3

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 22

@davidw87 wrote:

My Home Hub has been playing up (randomly rebooting and wifi not working properly) so I replaced it with a TP-Link at the weekend. Works fine so far, although DSL dropped and reconnected at 5am today according to logs.

The early morning disconnect would be due to DLM making changes to the line profile. It usually happens between 2-5 AM, I have seen it on my daughter`s TP Link router, but it does not happen on my ADSL connection.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 10 of 22

@imjolly wrote:

I would be switching the mk3 and the old master making the mk3 first socket and any extensions then wired back to the front of the mk3 master  router then conencted to mk3

@Keith_Beddoewrote:

@davidw87wrote:

The early morning disconnect would be due to DLM making changes to the line profile. It usually happens between 2-5 AM, I have seen it on my daughter`s TP Link router, but it does not happen on my ADSL connection.

Thanks all for the info - I may leave it for now and see how it goes, with the option of doing what @imjolly suggests above.

The DLM change makes sense as I noticed the line speed increased from about 50 to 55Mbps. Worth noting that the Home Hub only managed a max of 45Mbps!

0 Ratings