cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ramanjassal98
Beginner
Message 1 of 12

Modem advice

I’m a bit of a network noob so bare with me! Long story short I’ve had enough of the BT Smart Hub! After three replacements they continue to drop out and are very unstable. I have decided to purchase a Google WiFi pack for a stable connection across the entire house, something the hub promised but has failed to do a year on. 

My first BT router was the HomeHub 5 which had a modem built in so I do not have a separate Openreach one. I’ve been told Google WiFi works best connecting directly to a modem. I’m also aware that BT routers cannot be used as a modem separately. I’m not going to pretend I know how a modem works or what they do etc. but my question is do I need a specific kind of modem that would work with BT Infinity 2 or can I use any? I’ll be switching to Virgin as soon as it’s available in my area as they offer faster speeds than BT. If someone can someone recommend a cheap and compatible modem to purchase I would be internally grateful!

Thanks in advance! 🙂

Tags (2)
0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Modem advice

You will find Openreach modems on ebay for a few pounds that will work on BT. If you are moving to Virgin you would be better to check on the virgin forum what works on that system.

0 Ratings
portunus
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 12

Hi,

I was with Virgin, just left! Have a look at the virgin community/help pages etc posted with users comments. Look for any posts about speeds etc in your area. Speeds are up to.......

best wishes

Doug

0 Ratings
Liam_
Expert
Message 4 of 12

@ramanjassal98

Any router will work with the Virgin kit set in modem mode.  Had a Motorola modem when with Telewest years back (now Virgin) and used a few different router makes.  Just get a router with all the functions you need.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 12

Huawei HG612 modems are preferable to the ECI version of Openreach modem.

0 Ratings
ramanjassal98
Beginner
Message 6 of 12

@portunus

Cheers! I don’t think I’ll be switching anytime soon as I’ve been waiting years for my cabinet to be supported but I’m told it will be done by early next year at the latest. I mean anything faster than 60 down I get with BT would be amazing, especially for a few streams of 4k around the house 🙂

0 Ratings
ramanjassal98
Beginner
Message 7 of 12

@Liam_

Awesome! I didn’t know that, thank you 😄

0 Ratings
ramanjassal98
Beginner
Message 8 of 12

@licquorice

Cheers I’ll see what I can find 🙂 Is there a reason why these are deemed better? Just curious 🙂

0 Ratings
Highlighted
ramanjassal98
Beginner
Message 9 of 12

@gg30340

Cheers thank you! I’ll see what I can find on EBay 🙂

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 12

@ramanjassal98 wrote:

@licquorice

Cheers I’ll see what I can find 🙂 Is there a reason why these are deemed better? Just curious 🙂

More reliable, G.Inp capable, easily unlocked (don't pay extra for an unlocked one).

0 Ratings