cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 18

Modem replacement for FTTC or put homehub 5 into modem mode?

Go to solution

Good morning wise persons of the BT community!

Like many many people I am working at home and contending with multiple devices connected to by broadband (FTTC, ~50MB). Given the amount of devices attached and children wanting to home school work in rooms I decided I needed to update my router to prevent issues. House isn;t big enough to require a mesh network.

I have a homehub 5 - Type A.

I thought (it appears incorrectly) that I could plug in a better router into the  homehub and turn the homehub into only a modem. I assume there is no way to do this properly?

If not, what should I buy please? I have a router arriving from Amazon today (no modem, Archer C80) but that is easy to replace if a combined solution is better. Ideally want a robust set-up but not wanting to spend loads. 

All support greatly recieved!

Thanks

James

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18

Re: Modem replacement for FTTC or put homehub 5 into modem mode?

Go to solution

Don't reject a mesh. I reckon my DECO M5 has transformed our use of wifi.  

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 18

Go to solution

@JamesD1 

Welcome to this user forum.

The Archer C80 is no good, as its only a router. The HH5 cannot be put into modem mode.

What you need is a modem/router combination.

Here are two suggestions which are suitable.

They both work with all BT services including BT TV.

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/dsl-modem-router/archer-vr400/v2/

or a higher specification.

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/dsl-modem-router/archer-vr2100/

If you only need a single band wireless device, then this one is only about £35.

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/dsl-modem-router/td-w9970/

If you are just looking to improve wifi coverage, then as @gspearson  has said, do not dismiss the mesh option.

I use this mesh system https://www.tendacn.com/uk/product/mw3.html

Message 4 of 18

Go to solution

Cheers Keith,

the higher spec TP link is ideal as it looks to have the wifi stuff I wanted and is around the price I wanted to pay (£100 yes, £300 no!)

Best wishes

James

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 18

Go to solution
Would the M3 work ok with a new router at a later date keeping them all within a mesh or does the TP Link and the Tenda devices not 'play' nicely together?
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 18

Go to solution

@JamesD1 wrote:

Cheers Keith,

the higher spec TP link is ideal as it looks to have the wifi stuff I wanted and is around the price I wanted to pay (£100 yes, £300 no!)

Best wishes

James

Another forum member reported excellent results with that one.

https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-setup-Wi-Fi-network/NETGEAR-Nighthawk-X6-R8000-WiFi-Cable-amp-Fibre...

The title of that thread is confusing, but look at the final choice.

That thread also explains the login details you need.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 18

Go to solution

Mesh systems are totally different, and do not communicate with each other.

I would see how the new TP Link works first, as you may be surprised.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 18

Go to solution

the joys of having a Currys nearby (same price as Amazon and I had a voucher from Christmas to spend!)

Took 15 minutes to sort out the basics and woreless is great throughout the house (not tested at full load yet, but that will come!)

One issue is that I have an unamanged network switch to connect all of my ethernet devices (fire TV, Hue, Hive, powerline for games). That doesn't work anymore, I'll have to google some settings but the wireless router part is great.

Thanks!

James

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 18

Go to solution

There is no reason why an unmanaged switch would not work, unless for some reason it will not connect to a 1Gb LAN connection. Some switches fail to auto negotiate due to timing issues, its a common problem.

What speed is the unmanaged switch?

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 18

Go to solution

What will cause an unmanaged switch to fail is if you plug in both ends of a LAN cable!

I had removed a device and as it was such a jumble of wires didn't realise I'd plugged in both ends to different ports. All working fine now!

Speed tests using devices through house show that in the main 'problem room' speeds that will allow decent fortnite-ing.

Now I need to set-up QoS to ensure I always get most fo the bandwidth on my work laptop when required and all is good!

£100 well spent - Many thanks again for your help

0 Ratings