Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rotarua674
Contributor
Message 1 of 5

More ethernet ports

Go to solution

I use a BT HH5 and have all of the ethernet ports in use.  I'd like to connect a NAS drive and have seen the TP-Link sell a gigabit switch that you plug into the router and end up with more ethernet ports.

Does anyone know if these devices are generally trouble free or am I best avoiding them?

Thanks

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: More ethernet ports

Go to solution

Ethernet switches work just fine. There are plenty of gigabit switches avaiable.

The BT shop also have some https://www.shop.bt.com/mini-sites/connected-home/switches

The BT ones are more likely to be compatible with the auto negotiate ports of the BT Home hubs, as some people have reported issues with some makes of switches, which cause poor throughput.

TimCurtis
Guru
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

You shouldn't have any problems doing that.

I feed an 8-port switch from my non-BT router that then feeds 2 more switches around the house & in total I run 3 NAS devices without any problems. All the switches are TP-Link gigabit ones.

Rottie
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

I too have a couple of gigabit switches downstream from my non BT modem/router.

1 x 8 port Netgear and a 24 port no-name switch, both working as expected and everything's connected via CAT6 cables.

mike8
Contributor
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

I have a BT 8 port gigabyte switch into my smart hub. It works fine and connects at Gb speed. Previously had trouble with netgear switches not auto syncing at Gb speed. Been using the BT switch for a few years now without any problem so I am using a Gb LAN to other devices and NAS box.