Message 11 of 22

Re: Moto G7 cant connect to router but has BT X

😀😀

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 12 of 22

"Going by your last message you don't really need the disc, have you tried using the SH2 without it?"

Yes we did because our previous routers by BT or TP link wouldnt reached the rooms in the house, the Halo was a free upgrade but was not a good choice. The Wifi on our old BT HHub 5 also didnt reach down stairs but this one now does.

Yes one of the biggest issues with the Smarthub 2 is the inability to split the networks and the conflict in the channel broadcast. Because I'm convinced the 5ghz overrides the 2.4 hence constant disconnections on 2.4 which many others have reported on this router.

Its just poor programming and quality control, its advertised as get wifi in every room, well thats no use if you cant connect to it.

The recon HH5 is pretty good its working which is the main thing, as were not asking much. It reached most places although a few are slow but hey will live with it. 

The rubbish the fella spouted the other day on tech support online was just incredible. Didnt let you speak and just repeated the same thing. So that was a waste of 20 mins of my life.

I'll stick with the HH5 wait for the line to be fixed and see where it goes. But BT need to sort the firmware on the rubbish SH2 cause it just doesnt work with 2.4 devises which is the majority of people in the UK.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 13 of 22

All you have to do is split the 2 networks, but unfortunately, is something you can't do with the SH2 because of the discs.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/56419/~/how-do-i-split-my-bt-hubs-ssid-%28wireless-ne...

Yes I knew this with a normal hub but SH2 isnt smart enough to let you.  Therefore a firmware upgrade would sort it!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 14 of 22

There's no technical reason why the HH5 should out-perform the SH2, in fact quite the opposite as the SH2 has 7 antennas' and the HH5 only has 5.

Try powering the disc down and do a factory reset of the SH2, if it still cant match the HH5 then it must be faulty

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/51940/~/whats-the-difference-between-the-bt-hubs%3F

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 15 of 22

"Try powering the disc down and do a factory reset of the SH2, if it still cant match the HH5 then it must be faulty"

😂😂😂

It his has been powered down more times and reset than anything. The SH2 wouldnt reach downstairs with a good signal, hence the disk needed. It worked in terms of signal broadcast. We had a BT Wifi guy here, he didnt understand why it was connecting the way it did, rooms upstairs many meters away from the the Disk and closer to the router were connecting to the Disk 😖

I asked the last BT telephone wifi guy I would like a replacement, guess what the reply was.... It cant be faulty 😡 so I gave him up as a lost cause by then, as he rambled again about having devises attached and broadband speeds (nothing to do with what I called about)

So I cant get a new devise, even though I dont own it I just rent it and I think I'm renting a faulty product. So how do I get a replacement as Openreach dont have then in their van. 

Just lucky this one works. Id like to put the other in the bin, its ridiculous not being able to split the broadcast like with other routers. The only fix was to disable 5ghz but the openreach hub 5 is much faster than our SH2 and connects to everything including the printers which the SH2 really struggled with.

So which way to get another SH2 I'll look forward to your advise.

HH5 at present is much better than the SH2, as I am finally able to reply to emails and the kids can catch up with the course work missed due to no internet through the SH2. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 16 of 22

In theory at least, a good SH2 should outperform a good HH5 (albeit not by much) due to the extra antennas, the fact that it's not even matching it suggests to me that it is faulty.

Perhaps a mod will pickup on this thread and offer assistance.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 17 of 22

Certainly some assistance would be great, but unless the 2.4 and 5ghz can be sorted by another router with the same firmware there's little point asking for a new one.

I think its faulty or firmware upgrade killed something on it as the 5ghz wont wont run along side the 2.4 as devises just drop out.

The HH5 runs both and hasnhas issues there but I'd obviously prefer the SH7 without issue.

I'm just not going to spend hours on the phone again, not being listened too and being told I'm wrong when every tech person on here states the opposite.

A SH7 would be welcome, I'm happy for BT to have the old one for sure, chocolate kettle comes to mind. 

If a mod can assist I've been at this for 2 plus years with the cable and internet so I am honestly sick off the whole set up. But I've learnt alot so I'm greatful to the forums help.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 18 of 22

So before I wait a long time for telephone support, how do I convince the person on the line that the Smarthub 2 is faulty...

I asked for a replacement when I last called, to be told its NOT FAULTY because they have access to my router and its fine 🤔. Its clearly not, so I dont know what can be said to insist on a new router being supplied also...

Any thoughts on what wordage should be used would be helpful cause they werent listening when I last called.

Thanks

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 19 of 22

I've disable 5ghz on my router (which you can do in a SH2) it caused so many problems to me.

Settings /Wireless/ change settings

Under where it says 5GHZ click the On to OFF

The difference in performance between the HH5 and SH2 may be because it's connecting on 2.5ghz rather than 5ghz.  But frankly i can do without the 5ghz as everything aside from mobiles, a chromebook and few tablets are connected via Ethernet.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 20 of 22

Have you tried giving the phone a static IP address? anything from 192.168.1.1 upto and including 192.168.1.63 will be OK as long as it's not in use by another device

0 Ratings