Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
davidramsay
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 21

Moved from HH4 to HH6 but speeds are a lot lower

I recently upgraded to smart hub from HH4 and OpenReach modem.  I was originally many years ago getting almost full speed (76Mb/s) due to distance from cabinet (I am on infinity2).  This degraded as more people and houses were built but I was still getting about 70Mb/s.

I thought the new smart hub would be useful to increase my range and so obtained same.  Since then I have struggled to get over 61Mb/s.

I have carried out a quiet test (17070) with no obvious issue.  The following are my hubs technical stats (I am using 5Ghz band);

Product name: BT Hub 6A
Serial number: <DELETED>
Firmware version:  SG4B1000B540
Firmware updated: 07-Oct-2018
Board version: 1.0
Gui version: 1.64.0
DSL uptime: 0 Days, 21 Hours 18 Minutes 33 Seconds
Data rate: 20.00 Mbps / 65.38 Mbps
Maximum data rate: 22745 / 79076
Noise margin: 6.5 dB / 6.3 dB
Line attenuation: 14.3 dB
Signal attenuation:
VPI / VCI: 0/38
Modulation: G_993_2_ANNEX_B
Latency type: Fast Path
Data sent / received: 757 MB Uploaded / 14675 MB Downloaded
Broadband username: bthomehub@btbroadband.com
BT Wi-fi: Active
2.4 GHz wireless network name: BTHub6-DR-24
2.4 GHz wireless channel: Channel 11
5 GHz wireless network name: BTHub6-DR-5
5 GHz wireless channel: Smart (Channel 36)
Wireless security: WPA2 (Recommended)
Wireless mode: Mode 1
Firewall: On
MAC address: <DELETED>
Software variant: -
Boot loader: 9.2.0

Suggestions as to issue?
Tags (2)
0 Ratings
20 REPLIES
Message 2 of 21

Re: Moved from HH4 to HH6 but speeds are a lot lower

Hi @davidramsay thanks for posting, the router stats show your hub is currently syncing at 65.38 Mbps. The connection time is showing 21 hours was that an intentional reset or is the connection dropping out on its own? 

Community ModeratorNeilO
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Make sure you are logged into the forum otherwise you will not see our contact link when a moderator offers help. When sending us your details please don’t send a Private message (PM), we can’t deal with account/service issues via PM so please use the contact link. Thank You
0 Ratings
davidramsay
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 21

Intentional reset, it improved speed of download connection by about 1 Mb/s.

Unfortueately the power failed earlier this evening so things may have changed a bit.  Actually no change, same download and upload speeds.

I have left it over the 14 days before and had auto restarts but things have not improved.

0 Ratings
davidramsay
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 21

My cabinet is Cirencester 16, the ADSL availability for my number is;Screenshot 2018-12-06 at 19.30.29.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 21

@davidramsay Thanks for getting back to me, it looks like your connection speed is just within range of the clean estimate, if you're connection is not remaining stable for whatever reason it could be affecting the speeds you're getting.

Have you tried connecting directly to the test socket to see if that makes a difference? 

Community ModeratorNeilO
Show your appreciation!
Kudos”
Make sure you are logged into the forum otherwise you will not see our contact link when a moderator offers help. When sending us your details please don’t send a Private message (PM), we can’t deal with account/service issues via PM so please use the contact link. Thank You
0 Ratings
davidramsay
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 21

I did so a wee while ago, the HH6 is plugged directly into the master socket (not the test socket at this moment), there are NO other connections to the master socket.  There is little difference, bearing in mind I am using 802.11ac and the TX rate is over 700Mbp/s (I am on a wireless connection and there is NO other 5Ghz band in use in the vicinity).

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 21

@davidramsay thanks for getting back to me, would it be possible for you to try the test socket for me and then post your router stats for comparison? I would like to see if there is any difference to the SNR margins and Data rates whilst in the test socket.

Community ModeratorNeilO
Show your appreciation!
Kudos”
0 Ratings
davidramsay
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 21

OK due to my having a macbook pro without an enet connection I have placed an enet adapter in the USBC port.  Also as there is no way of connecting the phone cable from the Hub to the master socket I have had to use an ADSL filter to gain access to the mini socket.

My stats (susbset of relevant are as follows;

DSL uptime: 0 Days, 0 Hours 3 Minutes 47 Seconds
Data rate: 20.00 Mbps / 65.41 Mbps
Maximum data rate: 22615 / 78995
Noise margin: 6.5 dB / 6.3 dB
Line attenuation: 14.4 dB
Signal attenuation:
 VPI / VCI: 0/38
Modulation: G_993_2_ANNEX_B
Latency type: Fast Path
Data sent / received: 4126 MB Uploaded / 8354 MB Downloaded
Broadband username: bthomehub@btbroadband.com
BT Wi-fi:  Active
2.4 GHz wireless network name: BTHub6-DR-24
2.4 GHz wireless channel: Channel 11
5 GHz wireless network name: BTHub6-DR-5
5 GHz wireless channel: Smart (Channel 36)
Wireless security: WPA2 (Recommended)
Wireless mode: Mode 1
Firewall: On

The wireless on the laptop is off.
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 21

@davidramsay many thanks for doing that, I'm sorry for the inconvenience but hope you can appreciate we need be thorough with the checks to make sure the problem is on the BT network before we get Openreach involved.   Please use the 'click here to contact the mods' link in my forum profile to send in your details and we'll get your broadband connection looked at. You can find the link by clicking on my username.

Community ModeratorNeilO
Show your appreciation!
Kudos”
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 21

@davidramsay

sorry but are you now connected to test socket with a filter (master front plate removed)  or the master socket with the filter?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings