Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 31 of 37

Re: My Broadband on status shows incorrect Broadband Package

Disagree if you like but you are wrong.

All that has changed is the way the package speeds are advertised and the name of the package. The package maximum speeds are exactly the same. As has always been the case you will only ever get the speeds that your own individual line can support.

If you were getting 78Mbps, assuming nothing has changed such as crosstalk or a fault with your connection/ line or equipment you should get that regardless of what the package is called. A name change does not affect speeds.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 32 of 37

According to all the stats you have posted on this thread you are getting 78/79Mbps max data rate which is what you said you were getting on Infinity 2 so it appears that you are still getting that on 'Superfast Fibre Plus'

See link about line speeds.

https://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/35296/~/your-line-speed-explained

0 Ratings
davidramsay
Aspiring Expert
Message 33 of 37

No I am getting 65.43 Mbps to the router as sync speed and never close to the maximum data rate, this transcribes to approximately 4Mb/s less by the time it has been over wireless.  Bearing in mind that I am on the 5GHz band with NO interference as all other available connections are on the 2.4GHz band.

I have tried direct on the test socket and using enet to the router without ANY appreciable difference!  The SmartHub is connected to the master socket.

As I have 14.3db line attenuation this equates to aproximately 1Km from the exchange and therefore as I am very close to the FTTC cabinet I should be getting close to the rated maximum data rate but as you can see I am 13Mb/s below.

Current stats:

Data rate:  20.00 Mbps / 64.99 Mbps
Maximum data rate:  22041 / 78583
Noise margin:  6.5 dB / 6.4 dB
Line attenuation:  14.3 dB
It is reasonable to expect a similar degradation on the Download data rate as that on the Upload data rate AKA 10%, so I should be getting about 70Mb/s download but even then it does NOT explain why when I first signed up for Infinity 2 that I was getting 78Mb/s (Checked and verified by the OpenReach Engineer who installed).

0 Ratings
Highlighted
davidramsay
Aspiring Expert
Message 34 of 37

"If you were getting 78Mbps, assuming nothing has changed such as crosstalk or a fault with your connection/ line or equipment you should get that regardless of what the package is called. A name change does not affect speeds."

I am not that stupid, I have worked in a computing environment since 1975 until my retirement, overall there has been a gradual degradation over the years and that is NOT acceptable.

I suspect congestion is more likely the problem and/or the DLM has got stuck and needs resetting!
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 35 of 37

@davidramsay wrote:

I am not that stupid, I have worked in a computing environment since 1975 until my retirement, overall there has been a gradual degradation over the years and that is NOT acceptable.

I suspect congestion is more likely the problem and/or the DLM has got stuck and needs resetting!

Nobody said you were stupid. You said that the package you were on was different speedwise from Infinity 2 and I was pointing out that it was not different. You are now apparently accepting that and are suggesting something different to a package name change has caused your drop in speed which is obviously the case.

0 Ratings
davidramsay
Aspiring Expert
Message 36 of 37

... and I was pointing out that the router on the Status page was indicating Infinity rather than Infinity 2, even tho Infinity 3 and 4 are specifically mentioned on the page!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 37 of 37

... and you were given an answer in message 26. Infinity 3/4 are/were different products.

0 Ratings