cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
summers
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

Moved from Sky...

I cancelled my Sky contract and rejoined BT last week. My sky broadband was working fine, but now I've joined BT I can't connect my desktop pc via ethernet to get broadband. I'm using a couple of plugs that have an ethernet port and 'talk' to each other wireless. I got these from BT a few years ago as a previous customer, my pc worked off of them for my Sky broadband. Another problem I have is that I connect my Youview box this same way and I only get free view channels. I don't get Iplayer etc. I've also got a BT sports subscription and I can't get that either. Is there some sort of configuration I have to do with the BT router? Any help would be gratefully received.
Tags (1)
0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
summers
Beginner
Message 2 of 10

Re: Moved from Sky...

Can anybody from BT help? I don't like paying for a service that I'm not using.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 10

Any devices that extend the broadband would need resetting to default, then setting up again for BT, as the IP addresses are different.

I assume you now have BT Infinity.

Try turning Smart Setup off.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44328/~/switching-smart-setup-on-and-off-on-the-bt-ho...

Also try separating and renaming the SSIDs.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44798/related/1

In order to find out what services and speed range you should be getting, please enter your phone number into this form.
Broadband availability checker

Please remember to edit out your phone number before you post the results.

Then, if you have a Home Hub 5, please display the full connection statistics including noise margins, by following the instructions on this page.

Check your connection speed for the Home Hub 5

Could you please post the results from the BT Speedtester, including the further diagnostics.

BT Wholesale Speedtester

Thanks

0 Ratings
summers
Beginner
Message 4 of 10

Thanks. I've tried all of the above and still no good. It's so frustrating! Yes I do have infinity,  it's not really living up to it's name though!

0 Ratings
summers
Beginner
Message 5 of 10

I've just moved my pc near my BT router (which isn't at all practical) to see if my pc would work directly connected to the router - and it does! So, what do i have to do to get a wireless connection using my 'Simpler Networks' plugs?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

@summers Have you tried resetting them?  Check out that link for instructions.

Thanks

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 10

The Simpler network devices use the mains wiring, not wireless, to communicate with each other.

They normally  present an Ethernet port at the far end to connect to your PC, unless you have ones that also transmit a wireless signal.

They may need resetting, so that they can resynch to each other. Its best to do this with them plugged in side to side, before you move them to the correct place.

If you still have problems, the BT Shop has a range of suitable devices.

http://www.shop.bt.com/mini-sites/bt-connected-home/home/

summers
Beginner
Message 8 of 10

Thanks Keith & Neil, I reset them a few days ago but to no avail. I think I might have the solution now - a part of our house is without electricity at the moment - could this be the problem?
0 Ratings
summers
Beginner
Message 9 of 10

Actually, it probably isn't the solution - the electric was down when we had Sky, Iplayer etc. all worked then.
0 Ratings
summers
Beginner
Message 10 of 10

This is so frustrating, why should it be so difficult migrating from one company to another!
0 Ratings