Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 8

Moving a device between 5ghz to 2ghz on mode

Hi all,

I just need a little Guidance. I have a device on.a split band. It’s currently on 5ghz and I want to move it to my 2ghz band.

Can some one explain how I can do it. I can’t seem to find a option to move the device.

Thanks

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Moving a device between 5ghz to 2ghz on mode

If you have given the 2 bands different SSIDs, simply connect the device to the appropriate SSID. Devices choose which band to connect to, not the hub. Unless you have a Smart Hub2 (which you can't split) instructions to split the bands are here if you haven't split them.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/56419/~/how-do-i-split-my-bt-hubs-ssid-%28wireless-ne...

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 8

If you have split your wireless on your router to broad cast 5GHz and 2.4Ghz separately you will have given one of them a different SSid (name).

Presumably you will have logged your device onto both the SSids so that the device can access both the 5GHz and the 2.4GHz.

If you have done that, the device will select the signal that it wants to log on to usually depending on the stronger signal strength and it may also be "influenced" by logging onto the last signal it was connected to.

If you want it to always connect to the 2.4GHz signal, go into your device's wireless settings and "forget/delete" the connection SSid for the 5GHz signal. It will then not be able to log onto the 5GHz until you re-enter the wireless password for that SSid.

If on the other hand you have not split the wireless bands your device will just log onto the router's SSid and the device will select whether it is the 5GHz or the 2.4GHz. depending on signal strength. You will not be able to change this unless there is a setting within your device's wireless settings that allow you to choose to only connect to 2.4GHz.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

You can always simply turn off the 5Ghz wireless on the hub if you only want devices to connect at 2.4Ghz

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 8

I’ve the new smart hub 2.

so realised I can’t with this router.

i plugged my out router back in and moved it around that way selecting the separate I.d. 

what a pain in the **bleep**.

Why don’t they give you the option on the new smart hub 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

@Midniter wrote:

Why don’t they give you the option on the new smart hub 

That question has been asked many times.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 8

Thanks for the help guys

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 8 of 8

@Midniterwrote:

I’ve the new smart hub 2.

so realised I can’t with this router.

You can't split the networks but you can turn 5GHz off if that's what you want to do.

Just logon to the router, click Advanced, then Wireless.

You didn't say what type of device you're talking about, if it's a dual band Windows laptop then you can disable the 5GHz network adapter

0 Ratings