cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

Moving incoming phone line myself

Hello, 

I have recently moved house and the line coming into my home is run around 4 door frames, through a wall and another door frame to a box. It AWFUL and the engineer that did it needs a serious word with themselves.

Anyways. I know the line comes onto the house at the top corner, so my question is, can I just move it myself? Simple ladder up there, reconnect a cable and run it along the flashing of the house, down the side and into the wall where I want it?

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: Moving incoming phone line myself

The wiring you describe sounds more like it was done by the previous owner and not openreach

any wiring before the master socket is property of openreach and anything after master socket is homeowner

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 3 of 4

Either way, it's dreadful and needs to be moved entirely.

So can I rewire it myself at the source where it is attached to my house via the cable from the telephone post? As tbh, who would even know its been done.

What does the master socket even look like as I have one box in the house where the router and phone is connected, nothing else.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 4

is there not a small junction box where the incoming external openreach cable connects to the internal home cable

up to you if you want to change cable but should any problems occur which damages the external network then cost for openreach to fix will be up to you

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings