cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Moving router back to Master Socket

Go to solution

Recently the router was moved to the extension socket so I could hardwire all my devices with ethernet. However, this has been giving me many line consistency problems and speed loss. 

I'd like to remove all the extensions and only use the Master Socket. My faceplate is only single socket so requires a ADSL filter for broadband and phone. I'd like to get this replaced with a VDSL plate that supports both broadband and phone.

I'm not sure which faceplate would work with my socket or if that would need replaced as well. I was looking at the Openreach 2019 VDSL faceplate MK4.

How much would this cost to do? Can I hire an electrician to do it? 

Photos included below: 

Extension Socket (where broadband currently is)

extension-min.jpg

Master Socket

master-min.jpg

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Moving router back to Master Socket

Go to solution

get a new master MK4 with 5c like no 7.  available from amazon for less than £9.  simple replacement and if you are DIY  then less than 30min.  Alternative look at local paper and you will find a local telecom engineer ( probably ex BT) and get them  will be cheaper than openreach

Master socket types.jpeg

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

Thanks for the information! I'll probably try find a local telecom engineer to do it. I'm not too knowledgeable when it comes to this type of cabling. Rather not mess anything up. 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

Might be worth checking for the presence of a ring wire in the extension wiring. If there, removing it might give you a stable connection without moving the Hub. Five minute job.

https://kitz.co.uk/adsl/socket.htm

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

@TartanPiperwrote:

Recently the router was moved to the extension socket so I could hardwire all my devices with ethernet. However, this has been giving me many line consistency problems and speed loss. 

I'd like to remove all the extensions and only use the Master Socket. My faceplate is only single socket so requires a ADSL filter for broadband and phone. I'd like to get this replaced with a VDSL plate that supports both broadband and phone

I have no power socket anywhere near the Master socket, so had the router in a nearby room plugged into a filter in an extension socket.

Purchased a 15 metre rj11 to rj11 Male to Male lead from CPC Farnell (other suppliers ... etc.) for a few pennies . Plugged a filter into the Master socket then the rj11 into the filter, ran the lead round the skirting (beneath the carpet) then plugged it into the router. Download speed improved slightly, and no problems after nearly 4 years.

0 Ratings