cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JosephDoseph
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

Multiple Broadbands

Currently I live with my family who all use Sky internet and have no intention of upgrading or changing provider despite offering to pay to switch. Because of this I wondered if it was possible to have two different internet providers and routers within the same household as I am really considering BT and would like to move away from the low quality connection ASAP. Thank you in advance!

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Multiple Broadbands

You can have as many connections as you like as long as you are happy to pay for them and there is sufficient infrastructure to provide them.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 9

You can have as many providers as you want at a property as long as you are over 18 years of age, clear the credit check and are prepared to pay have a new line installed which will require the property owners permission.

If you do decide to get your own connection make sure when you order that you tell them that you require a new line and you are not taking over the present line that the property uses.

0 Ratings
JosephDoseph
Beginner
Message 4 of 9

Thank you! If I'm right in saying it would only be a split adaptor to allow another Ethernet cable to wire into my new router?

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 9

No, you would be completely wrong. It will need a completely separate phone line providing.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

No idea what you mean. 

If you get a new line, and you have connected the new  BT router to it, you can connect your devices to the BT router by either an Ethernet cable in or by wireless depending on what your devices can use.

0 Ratings
JosephDoseph
Beginner
Message 7 of 9

Thank you for the response, I'm not the most knowledgeable in regards to it, but I'll try my best to explain.

My household currently has one telephone socket, to which they have Sky broadband filter wired out of connecting to their router. I'm hoping to get BT wired in my house without taking away their internet. So would I have to have a new telephone socket installed or could I possibly use an adaptor that splits that socket into two allowing my household to use Sky whilst I use BT. 
Sorry for being awkward about it and thank you for the help.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 9

You can not use an adaptor.

You may be able to get a dual line face plate/master socket, if Openreach do use such a thing,  but I suspect you would need a second master socket fitted if only because the engineer would probably not want to mess about with the one that is already fitted albeit he would probably us a pair of wires coming from the same cable that is feeding the current master socket.

0 Ratings
JosephDoseph
Beginner
Message 9 of 9

Thank you very much, I'll try look into it.

0 Ratings