Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

My Network IP configuration issue

Go to solution

Hi, new to BT. Just been sent a Smart Hub 2 and am in the process of configuring it. 
I'm having a real issue with one of the settings and I hope someone can help. So, configured my network to use the subnet 192.168.2.x range of addresses, DHCP scope covering 192.168.2.10 - 192.168.2.200 and Smart Hub set as 192.168.2.1. No other DHCP authoritative devices on the network.   
I have static IPs assigned outside of this range to a few devices that need port forwarding at home. 
However, scanning my network I can see that several devices (such as my mobile phone) are being assigned 192.168.1.x addresses with the gateway IP of 192.168.1.254, which is the previous default gateway setting of the router. 

Worth mentioning that I'm an IT engineer with a wide experience of networking, but this has got me stumped! 

Other than a defective Smart Hub, which is always a possibility, has anyone come across this issue before? 

Thanks in advance. 🙂 

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Expert
Message 2 of 5

Re: My Network IP configuration issue

Go to solution

You restarted all devices / Disabled and Enabled network cards after changing the HUB settings I assume?

Are you able to access the HUB through 192.168.1.245 still or only the new 192.168.2.1 address?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

Hi, thanks for replying. 

Just tested by giving my laptop a static IP on the .1.x subnet and can connect to the hub via 1.254!

On closer inspection, however, this appears to be someone else's smart hub!! I suspect next doors, as I know they have a PS4 (I don't) which is showing as connected in the "my network" list, also seeing my echo dot and smart plugs listed as well!! 

Gone to "wireless" and can see the SSID listed which I've seen since we moved in, so I know it isnt mine. 

We're both on fttp connections - I wonder if there is some weird crossover going on? 

I'm not a member of BT-wifi or whatever the open access programme is called, so shouldn't be that getting involved... 

Weird!!!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

Nothing to do with FTTP.  If you both have powerline adaptors, it could be you are interconnecting through the mains. You should be on different mains phases but that doesn't always happen.

Unless you have specifically opted out, you will be part of the BT wifi with Fon network.

Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

You, sir / madam, are a bloody genius!!! 

Yes, I remember him saying he runs powerline to the back of his house, and I've got it for my stepsons console.

Of course - if they're finding each other then it will bridge the network and result in two DHCP servers on the LAN. 

D'oh! 

Just unplugged them and bingo - can't see his network. 😄 

Cannot thank you enough..  

0 Ratings