cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Mustafa_Islam
Contributor
Message 1 of 14

My Powerline adapters slow down when downstream sync is high!

Go to solution

I am a new customer to BT, I had Infinity 1 installed 2 weeks ago, it had its ups and downs during the stabilisation period. It stayed around 35mpbs downstream sync, during that time, from what I could see in the Hub Manager (192.168.1.254). When it was at this downstream sync, the power lines were able to deliver very close to 35mbps but now the broadband has since stabilised to 49mbps on the down sync and the power lines have actually slowed down to 9-20mbps when doing a speedtest.

When I was Virgin Media I had 50mbps and the power lines achieved that, but the BT Smarthub at 50mbps seems to be slower with them now, I'm thinking that there is some frequency difference? I'm not too sure. The wifi works at the actual speed but I need my Ethernet! 

I have the TP LINK AV500 and AV600, all updated to latest firmware. Worked fine with virgin at 50mbps. Slow when bt smarthub is at 50mbps downstream :/

any help is greatly appreciated.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 14

Re: My Powerline adapters slow down when downstream sync is high!

Go to solution

Welcome to this user forum.

Have you tried resetting and re-pairing the two powerline adapters?

Try turning Smart Setup off, as that can cause issues.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44328/~/switching-smart-setup-on-and-off-on-the-bt-ho...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Communityhelp (Private website) Lots of additional information and help.
You will need to be connected to your home BT Broadband connection to view it, or any links to it that I post on this forum.

0 Ratings
Mustafa_Islam
Contributor
Message 3 of 14

Go to solution

I have tried resetting and repairing them, didn't help.

I also turned smart setup off as soon as I got my broadband.

Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 14

Go to solution

Have you tried connecting directly to the Ethernet port of the home hub, just to make sure its not an issue with the home hub Ethernet port?

The drop in speed would indicate there may be a duplex mismatch between the Ethernet port of the home hub, and the Ethernet port of the powerline adapter at the home hub end.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You will need to be connected to your home BT Broadband connection to view it, or any links to it that I post on this forum.

0 Ratings
Mustafa_Islam
Contributor
Message 5 of 14

Go to solution

Yes I have done it with a direct connection. It works fine like that but slows down with power lines even though when my down sync was 35 it was good. 

Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 14

Go to solution

Here is a similar post https://community.bt.com/t5/Connected-Devices-Other/Powerline-issue-since-speed-boost/m-p/1798033#M1...

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 14

Go to solution

I wonder if the Powerline adapters are causing errors on the broadband?

Can you leave the Powerline adapters connected to an Ethernet port on the home hub.

Then connect a computer directly to another port on the home hub, and run a speed test again.

If the adapters are interfering with the broadband, then you will get a slow speed running that test.

Mustafa_Islam
Contributor
Message 8 of 14

Go to solution

Ok I will do that soon and get back to you

but I am wondering why was it fine with 35 but slowed down at 50?

Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 14

Go to solution

@Mustafa_Islam wrote:

Ok I will do that soon and get back to you

Fine, its just a process of elimination, as powerline adapters do use similar frequencies to VDSL, and with your increase in speed and frequency utilisation, its possible that some interaction is taking place.

Its more of a problem with the AV standard, as it utilises the 2-30MHz frequency band, the lower part of which, 2-12MHz, clashes with the frequencies that VDSL uses.

0 Ratings
Mustafa_Islam
Contributor
Message 10 of 14

Go to solution
Yh there’s no difference to a direct connection when there is also a power line connected to the router