cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 9

My broadband speed is dreadfully slow

The broadband speed is dreadful, it takes forever to load a webpage. I’ve checked it on multiple computers and the speed is the same, dreadfully slow. I have restarted my router, left it switched off for 10 minutes. No improvement. At wits end. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you all.
0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: My broadband speed is dreadfully slow

Post the router stats
Are you using test socket with filter to see if that helps
Try quiet line test dial 17070 option 2 should be silent and best with corded phone
Are you using wireless or Ethernet connection

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

Thank you for your reply. That sounds complicated and I’m not the best technical but I do appreciate your assistance. I ran a BT test [online] on my line it said broadband speed is good, download 1.2 mb/s.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

Which hub are you using
Master socket is first socket in your where openreach cable enters the test socket is behind bottom half

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

It says Homehub 4.0 - type A. Sadly I don’t have a landline phone. Mostly because I rely on my mobile phone. Anything else I can do in the short term? Thank you.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

And wireless connection, apologies I forgot to mention that.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 9

You need to check using an Ethernet connection not wireless as wireless is subject to interference from inside your home
Are you able to use test socket
Can you borrow a phone to check your line is ok and there is no noise a £5 investment in corded phone could save you the £129.99 cost of engineer callout

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

I will dig out an Ethernet cable. Thank you for your help.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 9

If you check for dial tone with a phone, when you get one, you may find there is no dial tone, and one wire of your phone line has become disconnected. That is one main cause of slow broadband.

If that is the case, then report it as no dial tone, and once that is fixed, the broadband will get better.

A cheap phone is essential, especially in an emergency.

0 Ratings