cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

NAT loopback on Smart Hub 2

Hi,

I recently switched to BT and just received my Smart Hub 2.

I have a few home hosted servers and have now setup my NATs to have that all served to the outside and it's all working fine. But it seems that by default NAT loopback isn't working as I can't access those services from inside my network, the router doesn't seems to follow the NAT rule for requests coming from inside my network. How can I get this sorted ?

I would like to avoid having to create special DNS entries on my internal DNS server just to get around that issue.

Thanks

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: NAT loopback on Smart Hub 2

NAT loopback isn't a configurable option. However, despite not being available on previous hubs, it is enabled on the SH2.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

Hum, very odd. Does it apply to both the over phone line and FTTx configuration ? I'm in a FTTx configuration here.

If we take one of my web server for example (jordan.penard.fr), external queries are able to reach the web serveur, internal queries do resolve to my public ip address, but they never reach my web server (I confirmed that by looking at the access log). So to me it seems that the router isn't doing NAT loopback. 

Is there a network trafic log tool that could help me on the SH2 ?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

@Xantra wrote:

Is there a network trafic log tool that could help me on the SH2 ?

No, the SH2 is very basic.

I'm on FTTC rather than FTTP so it is feasible there is a difference between a line connected to the DSL port rather than the WAN port but don't know for certain.

I am not using DNS, to test the NAT loopback, I am entering my public IP address in the browser, does it work for you when entering the IP address rather than server name.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

@licquoricewrote:

I am not using DNS, to test the NAT loopback, I am entering my public IP address in the browser, does it work for you when entering the IP address rather than server name.

I'm not sure what you mean exactly here. There's only 2 things that can go wrong, DNS resolution and routing. I have already established that DNS resolution works as I'm getting my public IP back from the name resolution, what isn't working is the routing of the query through the router. I also tried on another protocol than http and another port than 80 in case this was causing a problem due to the admin interface of the router, but same issue with ssh, the query times out when reaching for my public IP from inside the network.

I think the problem here is that the public IP address is not one of the router's interface IP address but rather the IP address of the other device that receives the fibre connection (I think that one is called openreach).  Is there an accessible admin interface for this openreach device ?

By the way, what's going on between the SH2 and the openreach ? Is that PPPoE or just standard ethernet traffic ? Is the openreach connecting to the BT network or does the SH2 do so through the openreach equipment ?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

The Openreach ONT is purely a modem. The PPPoE session and IP layer are dealt with by your SH2, it is only your SH2 that has a public IP address.

What happens if you enter your public IP address in the browser address bar rather than the server name?

Silly question, I assume you have forwarded port 80 to the device?

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

@licquoricewrote:

What happens if you enter your public IP address in the browser address bar rather than the server name?

Same thing, it's unreachable.

@licquoricewrote:

Silly question, I assume you have forwarded port 80 to the device?

Yes I have.

I'm thinking of getting rid of the BT hub and getting a real router now. Any experience with Ubiquity EdgeRouter for a BT FTTP setup ?

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

Not personally, but I believe it is highly rated.

The only downside is Digital Voice only works with the SH2. 

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

@licquoricewrote:

NAT loopback isn't a configurable option. However, despite not being available on previous hubs, it is enabled on the SH2.

& orginal SH1 or at least the 6B variant, @licquorice ?

0 Ratings