cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

Need an option to bind a device to a specific disc

So I have a Smart Hub 2 and two wifi discs and the coverage is excellent and all devices reporting excellent signal strength.

All good. 

But. I have a an original HomePod, and a HomePod mini in my bedroom and en-suite respectively. They're 15 feet from each other, and both the same distance from the wifi disc on the landing.

All good.

No. One of the HomePods insists on connecting to the main hub, while the other (correctly) is on the landing disc.

When they are on different discs you're unable to use airplay to play to both at the same time (Hey Siri, play my music Upstairs) - get an error on the iPhone saying unable to airplay to 'bathroom' if it was used to request the music, or 'sorry, there is a problem with apple music if the HomePod is used.

Reboot the one that's on the main hub and get them both back on the same disc and it works perfectly. Bloody annoying and could be fixed with an option to bind a specific device to a specific disc like most other routers can do.

Assume I'm speaking into a blackhole and nothing will be done about this, but needed to bring it up anyway.

The feature of the router where its supposed to move devices between discs based on the best signal is **bleep**.

Real shame as the signal strength is excellent and no other complaints other than that, but were a 'smart home' and apple ecosystem and annoying that it doesn't 'just work'. Let ME control the devices please.

Thanks

Mark 

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: Need an option to bind a device to a specific disc

Devices choose the best signal, not the router.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 4

Well that told me, didn't know that - I'm sure I read in some marketing blurb that the hub was responsible. Interesting. I've had a look and can't find it now (of course...!)

But surely an option then to bind these troublesome devices to a specific disc would be a useful option no? They both report excellent signal on either one so it'd make my life easier for sure. I've also got an Aqara camera that decides it wants to connect to the hub on the other side of the house instead of the one 20 feet away in the same room - seems it'd rather have 29% signal instead of 100%. Gah. 

If it wasn't for the fact that the signal is so much better than my old AIMesh ASUS system I'd have sent them back as configuration is too limited.

Here's hoping...

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 4

This is why I don't like mesh systems, and prefer discrete WAPs with discrete SSIDs. You can then manually choose where to connect to if a device chooses the 'wrong' source.

0 Ratings