Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Taffy078
Expert
Message 1 of 3

Need help with wiring up a BT Smart Hub

Go to solution

Hi. I bought a BT Smart Hub 10 months ago but gave it to a friend who desperately needed it. I've just got another and would appreciate your help in setting it up. It's currently feeding into my old XP Tower which I'm keen to get shot of so this will be messy - sorry. All this is in my study.

I have a BT Openreach router. The phone line comes from the phone point into DSL on the hub.

The LAN1 red-end cable on the Hub goes into BT Infinity on the Hub.

On the Hub are ethernet1 and ethernet2 cables - yellow ends. Ethernet1 goes into the back of my XP Tower. Ethernet2 goes into a BT Broadband Extender PowerPlus.

The Tower is plugged into a 5-gang - not perfect but I don't have enough power sockets in the wall. So plugged into this 5-gang is the Tower, the BT Broadband Extender, a BT wireless Mini WiFi Hotspot and the HomeHub 3.0

The BT Broadband Extender and BT wireless Mini WiFi Hotspot made absolutely no difference to the strength of reception in my lounge so I'll chuck these chocolate teapots or see if a PC-savvy friend wants to try them.

So there you are. I hope Ive given you enough info. How do I set up my new Hub without using my Tower, please? Cheers. Taffy078

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 3

Re: Need help with wiring up a BT Smart Hub

Go to solution

if you have a hh6 then the dsl cable from phone socket should connect to the broadband socket on new hub - omitting the openreach modem and hh3  the ethernet cables are reconnected to the new hh6

I would not plug the extender or mini hotspot into a 5 gang extension as I think they work best conencted to an actual wall socket

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Taffy078
Expert
Message 3 of 3

Re: Need help with wiring up a BT Smart Hub

Go to solution

Many thanks. I'll do it at the weekend, if our house is still standing!  Smiley Wink

PS I'll report back.

0 Ratings