cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Begadoc
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 4

Need replacement modem but infinity due soon!

My current modem (Netgear) is giving local wireless connection problems and normally I would consider getting a  new one with a better WiFi range. However BT Infinity is due soon, once blocked ducts are cleaned so this could be in 2 weeks or 2 months or sometime next year!

I know that I will need a BT supplied modem when I get Infinity but if I get a modern modem/hub for now, will it be made redundant by the Infinity supplied one?

An alternative question is can I do anything to improve my WiFi without it being made redundant in a short time?

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
shirts
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 4

Re: Need replacement modem but infinity due soon!

Try downloading "Inssider" to see if anything else is using your channel. If so, it will help to show a less congested channel.....

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/inssider.html

If you found this post helpful, then please click the star on the left, after all, I'm only trying to help........Smiley Wink
0 Ratings
Rottie
Expert
Message 3 of 4

@Begadoc wrote:

My current modem (Netgear) is giving local wireless connection problems and normally I would consider getting a  new one with a better WiFi range. However BT Infinity is due soon, once blocked ducts are cleaned so this could be in 2 weeks or 2 months or sometime next year!

I know that I will need a BT supplied modem when I get Infinity but if I get a modern modem/hub for now, will it be made redundant by the Infinity supplied one?

An alternative question is can I do anything to improve my WiFi without it being made redundant in a short time?

Hi there,

If you don't want to use the HH5 for whatever reason, then you can go down the "two box" route, which would mean sourcing a white OR modem from that well-known auction site 😉 and a third party PPPoE enabled router - Make sure that it is marketed as a "cable router" and that it has a WAN port.

To give you an example, I use a Netgear "Nighthawk" R7000 router in combination with the OR modem, but that's a fairly top-end router, costing over £169 when it was new, but I'm sure you'll find something to fit your budget, depending on whether you want "N" or "AC" wireless speeds, gigabit LAN ports, etc.

Ultimately, I would say in the first instance, though to give the HH5 a go; you may be happy with it, you may not; it just depends on your requirements, but be forewarned, although the HH5 is a relatively well-specced piece of kit, you may find yourself "out-growing" (as I did, when I had my original HH3) it, sooner rather than later.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 4

Or just get a VDSL/ADSL router such as the Billion 8800n or Draytek Vigor 2850 which will work now and when you get infinity without the need of a BT modem.

0 Ratings