cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 22

Need to hardwire a Roon music server

Go to solution

Looking for some guidance. I have moved into a new home and the BT Hub must go in my hallway under the stairs as this is where the BT Fibre connection is

However my Roon music server needs to be hardwired to work. I know I can have this in my hall , but my Hifi is in my living room, and I prefer the Music server to be connected to my amp with a USB cable as it sounds better this way.

So could I buy the BT black wifi disc, pair it with my router and then move the disc into my living room? I could then have my Roon music server in the living room and attach it by USB cable to my Devialet amp.

Any suggestions or help would be really useful

0 Ratings
21 REPLIES 21
Message 2 of 22

Re: Need to hardwire a Roon music server

Go to solution
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 22

Go to solution

Thanks for the reply.

So one of these is connected to the Smart Hub 2 by ethernet, the other plugs into a socket near my hifi?

I can then have my music server in the hifi room and attach it by ethernet cable to this ?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 22

Go to solution

@womaz wrote:

Thanks for the reply.

So one of these is connected to the Smart Hub 2 by ethernet, the other plugs into a socket near my hifi?

I can then have my music server in the hifi room and attach it by ethernet cable to this ?

Yes, the two ends communicate over the mains.

If you do not need wifi at the far end, then there is a cheaper alternative which is Ethernet only.

https://shop.bt.com/products/bt-broadband-extender-600-kit-084284-BVFL.html

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 22

Go to solution

Sorry Keith now a little confused.

I am not very technical but I understood the first product . This one you say will work if I do not need Wifi at the far end. So just to clarify ....the only reason I want this product is to be able to put my Roon Music server in the same room as my Hifi. The Roon music server has to have a wired Ethernet connection .

Will this product allow this .....I am not sure what the difference is between the products apart from cost. 

Thanks again

EDIT does this product require a wire run between the two ?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 22

Go to solution

The fist one has two Ethernet ports and will also transmit a wireless signal if you have devices that need to connect in that area, and are out of range of the home hub.

The second cheaper one, just provides an Ethernet connection, and does not transmit an extra wifi signal. That is the one that would do, in your case.

No wire is needed between the two units.  One end connects via a short cable to the home hub, and the other end connects to your music server via another short Ethernet cable. Look at the diagram on the product description, which shows a TV connected.

Capture.JPG

Message 7 of 22

Go to solution

Has the developer not fitted ethernet sockets in the rooms?

Is there anything like this in the cupboard?

2018-09-25 17_13_30-Fibre network guide - fibre_developer_handbook.pdf.png

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 22

Go to solution

Thanks for the reply. There is a phone line behind my TV i think so are you suggesting this may take my Hub?

I have asked the after sales girl about this and she just looked lost 😉

My hub arrives today so I will see if it goes into the socket behind the TV......but everyone I speak to seems to think it has to go into the hallway where the main connection is

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 22

Go to solution

The product arrived today, but it does not work.

Apparently they have to both go into a direct socket into the wall. Unfortunately where my BT Fibre point is only has 2 sockets and one is used for the BT fibre box and the other for the Smart Hub. 

So frustrating.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 22

Go to solution

@womaz wrote:

The product arrived today, but it does not work.

Apparently they have to both go into a direct socket into the wall. Unfortunately where my BT Fibre point is only has 2 sockets and one is used for the BT fibre box and the other for the Smart Hub. 

So frustrating.

You can use a short mains extension strip, and they will work just fine. Just avoid extension strips that have surge suppression build in.

Capture.JPG

0 Ratings