cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

Needing to buy BT connectors

Apologies not sure best place to posts this.

As my hub isn't in a position to be directly connected to my BT TV box I need mini connectors but is there any benefit to using BT branded ones or would a pair of powerlines I have do as good a job ?

I have Full Fibre 100 so would like to buy the best ones (determined by the cost) to get the most out of the broadband.

Thanks

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: Needing to buy BT connectors

You don't have to use BT branded ones, any make will do as long as they're fast enough. I'd go for the TP-Link AV1300 or AV1000 (in that order of preference). Slower ones would probably work but you run the risk of IPC-6023 error messages

A better solution is to connect your box to the Ethernet port of a wi-fi disc if you have one 

Message 3 of 10

Thanks, I have a pair that look like the AV1000, I'll need to check the model.

Message 4 of 10

Hi these are the ones I have, would they be suitable I can try them out before I go and spend money I don't need to.

just google search ZyXEL PLA5215 600

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

The 600 at the end of the model number indicates that the maximum speed of these devices is rated at 600 Mb/s, it may not be the actual attainable speed.

By all means give them a go, just remember that you may well lose speed if they are not used strictly in accordance with the manufacturers recommendations, if there is a wiring fault in the house or the house wiring is in poor condition.

You could always connect a laptop to one to find out what link speed you can achieve (in Windows 10 that's Network Status/ Properties)

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

Thanks for the help.

It's a new build property so wiring is up to date, I'll give them a go and see what they are like. I might end up updating them as I might have to use them for the Xbox of the wireless speed is no good (the hub is under the stairs.

Thinking about it I could maybe move the hub so it's closer to the box with the BT TV box and Xbox are directly plugged into it.

Message 7 of 10

If that means that you can then connect the TV box by ethernet cable , then yes, that would be the best solution

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

Hi

I checked earlier and I cant move the hub as its connected to the phone line.

I think my only option is to buy 2 x powerline but with 2 ethernet ports.

Are powerline adapters the only option, would a network switch be any good ?

Thanks

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

A network switch will do fine

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

Thanks, I've just seen a similar response where a switch was given as a solution to connect 2 devices to the internet.

Anything I should pay particular attention to eg brand ?

Thanks

0 Ratings