cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Coco85
Aspiring Contributor
Message 41 of 54

Re: Nest WiFi and IPv6

Afraid I never got to the bottom of this issue and 9 times out of ten am just allocated an ipv4 address, with the ipv6 allocation/support only working on the minority of cases.

I've personally just disabled ipv6 on the nest WiFi solution and am considering changing ISP after I'm out of contract next year, so will see how it fares with a different provider.  I'll be sure to update this thread if I find an improvement elsewhere, but in the meantime ipv4 will have to suffice for me as the overall performance of the WiFi with nest is much better than BT router provides and far outweighs the lack of ipv6 for me personally.

0 Ratings
Dooley_do
Contributor
Message 42 of 54

Nope, it is still unreliable when in comes to IPv6. Occasionally is on and working and most the time on but not working.

0 Ratings
GamingPreferred
Beginner
Message 43 of 54

Hi 

It might be a coincidence but I manually set the DNS on Nest WiFi to Google's ipv4 and ipv6 DNS servers in advanced networking. I now have ipv6, which I had never had before.

I know nest WiFi is meant to do this automatically but it didn't seem to be working for me which is why I manually set it. 

Might be worth a try.

0 Ratings
sulaimana
Beginner
Message 44 of 54

Hey GamingPreferred,

I am trying to do the same, could you please provide me the values for these servers - primary server, secondary server, IPV6 primary server and IPV6 secondary server.

On many forums - values are like this, really not sure what values go in these four fields, please explain

primary - 2001:4860:4860::8888 and secondary - 2001:4860:4860::8844

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 45 of 54

IPv4 Primary 8.8.8.8

IPv4 Secondary 8.8.4.4

IPv6 Primary  2001:4860:4860::8888

IPv6 Secondary 2001:4860:4860::8844

0 Ratings
GamingPreferred
Beginner
Message 46 of 54

Might be worth checking your networks, I previously said I had IP6v6 but then I lost it and it didn't come back.

Nest WiFi updated last week and iIPv6 is back and stays even after I network restart and having my DNS set to automatic.

As a side not some network issues I was having seem to be resolved too! 

Hopefully I will keep IPv6 this time.

0 Ratings
Dooley_do
Contributor
Message 47 of 54

Interesting. My Nest WiFi hasn't updated yet but will try flipping IPv6 back on when it does. I had disabled it as it seems when it isn't working it tests every 12 hours and drops the connection. Was doing it like clockwork for months before I found out IPv6 being enabled was the issue.

0 Ratings
Coco85
Aspiring Contributor
Message 48 of 54

I also had ipv6 disabled for the same reason as @Dooley_do so I've just enabled as a test and picked up an ipv6 allocation straight away.

I'm running version 13729.57.15 on the nest router (not sure if that's the latest) and DNS set to automatic.  I'll leave it running enabled for a wee while and let you know how it gets on

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 49 of 54

@Coco85 wrote:

and DNS set to automatic. 

Just for information, BT don't have IPv6 DNS servers, they use the IPv4 DNS servers for IPv6 DNS lookups.

0 Ratings
GamingPreferred
Beginner
Message 50 of 54

@licquorice on Nest WiFi the automatic DNS settings default to Google's DNS rather than the ISP ones. You can manually select ISP DNS though but automatic is all Google.

0 Ratings