cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

Net instability when gaming and media streaming

I require some help with net issues relating to frequent high ping spikes (over 1k) and latency and packet loss on my fibre broadband plus, on a wired and wireless hi-spec gaming PC, plus freezes and dropouts on media streaming platforms.

Over the last 5 weeks I've made numerous calls to BT's support, had line tests done, received a new home hub, and even had a line engineer at my home testing my line. The engineer didn't find any fault with my line, and I've also had the wall outlet replaced with a VDSL filter. Unfortunately none of these has resolved the above issues.

Whilst browsing this forum I found someone else has posted with exactly the same issues, and BT changed their connection to a super stable service which I believe might help resolve my broadband issues too.

https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Fibre-broadband/Horrible-ping-spikes-and-packet-loss/td-p/1915395

I would be grateful for any help in resolving this problem.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Contributor
Message 2 of 6

Re: Net instability when gaming and media streaming

im also experiencing multiple ping spikes of 500ms plus in game which occured only within the last week.

Are you also seeing fluctuating download speeds when your running speedtests? Could help paint the picture bigger.

If BT says there's nothing with your connection like they did with me. It's probably their **bleep** hubs not being able to provide a stable consistent connection hence the lag spikes

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 3 of 6

I've had this issue for a few months and it's been getting progressively worse, to the point where the high ping and latency crashes game servers now.

Download speeds are constant most of the time but uploads can bounce 5-25Mbps day to day.

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 4 of 6

Yh the high ping spikes are shockingly high and very concerning. Im at the point now where im looking at different isps

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 5 of 6

Me too. I've been repeatedly calling BT support trying to get this resolved, even raised a complaint. It's hit and miss whether the support staff even know what ping and latency are.

I'm also surprised my post has been moved from fibre broadband to this section, when it's clearly Not a home setup issue. If it was the engineer would have picked that up on his visit today.

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 6 of 6

Must be a problem on your line. Apparently there's a problem on my line at the cabinet which is causing the lag and fluctuating speeds. Ill see what happens when it gets solved by Tuesday. Im still sceptical tho because the bt support on twitter couldn't find any problem and now the last 2 advisors I've spoken to live support have found a problem. There's definitely alot of clueless people working for Bt its crazy. Btw, be careful if you ever go in live support, most of them are liars. I Normally keep leaving until im talking to someone with a English name haha

0 Ratings