cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 15

Netflix Connection Error, Please Help

Go to solution

Hi

Can someone please please help.  My kids got 2 amazon fire kindles (5th generation) from Santa.  Everything works fine on them apart from netflix app.  I have tried deleting/reinstalling app, clearing cache/data, reset devices back to factory settings.  The kindle fire says please check network connectivity & date & time are set.  I then realised that the netflix appt works when we are visiting other people with a non BT hub.  I have tried splitting SSID, changing channel & switching off smart set up, changing date & time on kindle but none of it has worked. Amazon & Netflix both say its a hub problem. I had a BT home hub 5a & finally after several calls to BT I was updated to a home hub 5b.  This has made no difference at all.  BT are absoultely useless and seemingly have no idea of any issue with BT hub & netflix even though there are multiple discussions on here about it & on google.  I really don't want to have to phone them again.  Would a hub 6 help or is it time to leave BT??? Would really really appriciate any help.  Thank you

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
AndyCoffin
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 15

Re: Netflix Connection Error, Please Help

Go to solution

90% of netflix problems on bt are due to the bt parental controls, first thing i would suggest is to make sure they are off.

They can be found on your bt account page under manage your extras, not on the hub

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 15

Go to solution

Thank you very much, this seems to have solved the problem. Smiley Happy

0 Ratings
Prius_Taxi
Beginner
Message 4 of 15

Go to solution
This is a fault only on the internal (home) connection of the home hub. Connecting to BT-Fon on the same router which applies the same Parental controls will enable you to use Netflix and keep the level of Parental control you require.
0 Ratings
eddyeggs
Beginner
Message 5 of 15

Go to solution

hi , the problem with netflix on the HOME HUB 6 has not been fixed for all, i have spent 2 months thinking it was my android tv box only to find out it was the hub,, when you log on to the hub after starting up the tv android box netflix wont play films , so i found a way to get it working ,,if you have a DHCP button hit that button so it disconnects then reconnect after a min, then net flix will work,,

this is my second home hub 6 and it still does not work ,, and support is very limited .

0 Ratings
melanie124
Beginner
Message 6 of 15

Go to solution

I had a look at this for a family member remotely and I think we have a working solution.
1. On your laptop, PC or tablet go to your router’s home page with your web browser (Chrome, internet explorer, etc.) – it might be (as an example) http://192.168.1.254 This was the address that she had out-of-the-box – if you’ve changed it you should know what your hub’s address is.
2. Click on ADVANCED SETTINGS (you may need to log into the hub)
3. Click on Broadband
4. Look down the screen for the words for “Primary DNS” and “Secondary DNS” (it may be numbers like 81.139.57.100 and 81.139.56.100). They may be different for you – just note down these two addresses.
5. Go to your Netflix player – if it’s a smart TV for instance you should have a “network setup” page or similar (you may need to consult the manual there)
6. Look for “DNS SETTINGS” or something similar – it may be set to “AUTO”. You need to change this to “Manual”
7. The player will now ask for “primary DNS” and “secondary DNS” – use the two address numbers you wrote down before from step 4. IfChange those settings to the two addresses that you have read form the web page above in step 4.
8. Save that and restart your Netflix player or TV
9. Try to start the Netflix player (we also tried the BBC Iplayer as that worked before, it’s a good check to do as well). If it asks you to log in then you should be able to watch Netflix again.

See if that works. If it breaks again try repeating these steps (you may need new address settings).

Probable cause: The problem seems to be that the TV (or player) isn’t looking up the DNS address properly through the BT hub – I think it’s a caching issue, possibly brought on by Netflix changing an IP address (I’m presuming all of this from my brief look at it before). I think Netflix have been telling people to set their player up to look for the Google DNS servers (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) but BT seem to disallow that on devices on their network so this solution won’t work there.
I’m sorry to be vague on the last part (setting your TV) as all TVs are a bit different so you will have to look up your TV (or player’s) manual to fill in those gaps. I’m not on the BT network myself so I can’t see many of these settings, only what I saw on her system trying to fix this problem. I posted this as she said many people weren’t getting very far with a fix.
Post below and let me know how it went.

If this fixed your problem and you found this useful ***edited by Mod***  (help keep a geek of the streets!).

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 15

Go to solution

The only restriction on using other than BT DNS servers is if parental controls are enabled, otherwise any DNS server can be used.

0 Ratings
davo-cc
Beginner
Message 8 of 15

Go to solution

(I'm the one who wrote Melanie's post text above) - I don't know what package or services she has but I do know that her set was able to achieve DNS lookup after manually entering the details - she said others have had it so I was curious to see where this would go.  Normally DNS lookup would just flow through but could there be a problem with how this is done on the smart-TVs using the BT modem firmware?  

If tried does it resolve the issue?  I'm curious from a technical perspective.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 15

Go to solution

@davo-cc

I think you will find that the problem is with the home hubs DHCP service. It sometimes does not respond to a DHCP request from some devices. Or if it does, it tries to issue the same IP address etc, as another device.

This results in no default gateway, or no DNS servers being allocated to the device.

Manually setting an IP address (outside of the DHCP scope), default gateway, and DNS servers, overcomes this limitation.

There has always been problems with the home hub`s DHCP servers, even on the very first one, the home hub 1.

It may have something to do with the fact that BT seem to re-use a lot of the code from earlier versions, some of which is GPL code, and some is from the SpeedTouch range of routers, which the home hub 1 was based on.

There have been changes to the front end web interface to make it more user friendly, and to remove some of the bugs in the interface between the web interface and the firmware, which were present in the earlier home hubs.

0 Ratings
davo-cc
Beginner
Message 10 of 15

Go to solution

@Keith_Beddoe

Thanks Keith, I suspected as much - the failure of DNS response seems to be consistent with certian types of devices (though I didn't notice this with her PC or ipad or phone devices specifically).  I'm looking at it externally as I'm not with BT myself.  

She said that a lot of people seemed to be having ongoing problems with their smart-TVs and players so I wanted to see if fixing the DNS server addresses within the player's local config would impact this - it's a workaround and far from idela but it may be the difference between working and nothing for many users;  I tried this as a long-shot option with her TV and to be honest I was a little surprised that it worked (I don't know the BT config myself, I just noticed very few configuraiton options).  

I am most cuirous to know if manual DNS entry config to BT DNS servers did fix it for anyone else;  it's been fine for her set so far, she just mentioned that a lot of other users were getting nowhere with their own devices. 

0 Ratings