Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 21

Netflix connection problem

Go to solution

Daughter in law logged into her Netflix account on our smart tv in lounge over Christmas, it worked then and works now.

loved it so much, went and bought a smart tv for our snug. Connected to same BT Infinity.

Netflix would not connect, error NW-2-5 although all other channels e.g. You Tube connected fine. Went through tv company's tech help, resulted in unable to connect took tv back after doing the usual, powered off Hub 5, reset, turned off BT Parental Control and deleted it.

Researched and bought Roku3. Connected it to the same BT Infinity Hub 5. Exactly the same error message but occasionally ALSO get ui-800-3 (%MSL_INTERNAL_CODE%). Went through to Netflix tech help. Did the usual, powered off Hub/Roku3, reset Hub etc.

All channels work but Netflix on the 'snug' tv with Roku3 will not connect. Netflix tech help said there was only one solution left and that was to go through to my internet service provider and ask for a DNS reset to rest home network and refresh all connections.

Did call BT helpline and they explained that they don't deal with this and that I would need to go through to BT TechExpert. They could not give me a phone number just web address. I went there but it appears that this is a subscription service. £8/£10 per month. Not that I tried, but I bet you can't go just for 1 month!! 

I looked up Hub management and disconnected and reconnected the DNS settings and changed channel.

Nothing has changed. Can anyone help?

0 Ratings
20 REPLIES 20
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 21

Re: Netflix connection problem

Go to solution

If the other TV in the lounge works ok, its a tv problem. Are they both connected via Ethernet or wireless?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 21

Go to solution
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 4 of 21

Go to solution

Thanks for the reply.

Both connected wirelessly.  

Lounge tv is LG Smart tv. Snug - the new smart tv that was returned was a Celcus Smart tv. The old one I am now using is a Sony (made Smart by using a Roku3. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 21

Go to solution

I would try connecting via Ethernet. You could try something like these if you didn't want to run a cable http://www.shop.bt.com/mini-sites/connected-home/broadband-extenders

I assume you have turned off smart setup on the hub.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 6 of 21

Go to solution
Yes, tried that as an intermediate solution. Passthrough powerline starter kit. No change.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 7 of 21

Go to solution
Smart set up on the Hub?? Could you please explain?
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 21

Go to solution

If its now the RoKu you are using, then there is a thread relating to that about turning BT Protect off as well.

https://community.bt.com/t5/Connected-Devices-Other/NETFLIX-ERROR-NW-2-5/m-p/1702040#M133856

Many of these types of devices either use Google DNS, or other DNS servers which BT Protect will stop.

Yo may be able to alter the network settings on the Roku so it uses the DNS from the home hub.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 21

Go to solution
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 10 of 21

Go to solution
Thanks. P Control was off, now turned off W Protect, initial test shows no change. Will keep trying in case it takes a while.
0 Ratings