cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 11

Netflix is giving me a False Positive for VPN use

I have BT Fibre (Halo 3) and it's fantastic.  I also have a Netflix account, but not via BT TV.

Recently Netflix have started to restrict the content I can watch to just Netflix created films, as they think I am using a VPN, Proxy or UnBlocker on our Windows 10 laptops and phones when conected to the router (wired & wifi).  Except I am not. 

They ask me to check my IP and location using fast.com, which gives me:

Client   Elmsett, GB   109.150.52.18   BT
Server(s) Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, GB  |  London, GB

The IP Address is correct and whilst I am in the ther UK, I am in Suffolk (so fairly close).

Has anyone else had this issue, it cannot just be me?

Netflix have asked me to: "If the info from fast.com does match the location and IP address assigned to your home, ask your ISP to contact us at netflix.com/contactus."  But when I contact BT they seem reluctant to do this and to be honest I'm not surprised it's a Netflix issue.  BT restart my connection for a new IP and I have reset my router to factory settings, which does not resolve the issue.

Many thanks

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Re: Netflix is giving me a False Positive for VPN use

@stuart320 

Its more likely that its BT Protect, or BT Parental controls which is causing the issue, especially as restarting the home hub has no effect. 

Login to MyBT, and see if either of those included extras are enabled, if they are, then disable them, and see if it helps.

Message 3 of 11

Somebody in the VirginMedia forums has posted similar and they are not using VPN. It could be a Netflix issue.

How did you get the message (onscreen or email)? Are you sure it is genuine?

@stuart320wrote:

I have BT Fibre (Halo 3) and it's fantastic.  I also have a Netflix account, but not via BT TV.

Recently Netflix have started to restrict the content I can watch to just Netflix created films, as they think I am using a VPN, Proxy or UnBlocker on our Windows 10 laptops and phones when conected to the router (wired & wifi).  Except I am not. 

They ask me to check my IP and location using fast.com, which gives me:

Client   Elmsett, GB   109.150.52.18   BT
Server(s) Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, GB  |  London, GB

The IP Address is correct and whilst I am in the ther UK, I am in Suffolk (so fairly close).

Has anyone else had this issue, it cannot just be me?

Netflix have asked me to: "If the info from fast.com does match the location and IP address assigned to your home, ask your ISP to contact us at netflix.com/contactus."  But when I contact BT they seem reluctant to do this and to be honest I'm not surprised it's a Netflix issue.  BT restart my connection for a new IP and I have reset my router to factory settings, which does not resolve the issue.

Many thanks

---------------------------------------------------------------
Fibre 2 Unlimited using EE Smart Hub 2 with EE TV Box Pro (UHD/HDR) in IP mode.
Message 4 of 11

Good Idea, thanks.

Bt Patental Controls were Off, but BT We Protect was On.  I've turned it off, but no change on Netflix.  So restarted the Router and BT Fibre bx, but again no joy.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 11

Try a different web browser, and see if you get the same problem. Make sure there is no other device streaming video when you try Netflix again.

Message 6 of 11

The error is genuine (just not correct!).  On the Netflix Help for my account it reports Error: U7111-5059 and another message saying I am using an unblocker/proxy.

The really annoying thing is, I tried to install a free VPN, with limited usage, on one of my laptops yesterday.  When I turn this on and point to a UK Server, then Netflix works perfectly with no errors.  So if I use a VPN it's fine, if I am not using a VPN I get an error telling me I am (which is almost funny, if it were not so frustrating).

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 11

I've been through Chrome, firefox and the netflix app.

Via Netflix i've logged all devices off and changed the password.  I then log back in on one laptop that I know has windows 10, office and very little else.  But still I get the errors.

When I get the error it apears on all windows laptops, android and  apple phones connected via wifi/wired.

But I have 2 Samsung TVs that do not have the issue and can see all content on Netflix.

If I create a mobile hotspot and use mobile data, then conect my laptops to that, again I can see all content on Netflix.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 11

They must have detected your VPN install, and blacklisted you. See if anyone else has any suggestions.

Perhaps your DNS settings have been changed, and you are no longer using BTs DNS servers?

Try a factory reset of the BT Home Hub.

Message 9 of 11

I've tried a factory reset of the hub, twice, maybe even 3 times now 🙂  Once (just once) I thought it had resolved the issue, but a day or so later I get errors again.

I had a look through the Virgin forum and a few people have a similar issue without ever getting it resolved.

I may just cancel netflix and start a new account with a new email address and see if that helps.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 11

Is it all devices that Netflix is blocing you?  The DNS settings can be changed on the device rather than the hub. Have you tried a mobile phone using the mobile network?

I would check it is the email blocked before you cancel as a new account could have same issue if it is an IP or DNS issue.

@stuart320wrote:

I've tried a factory reset of the hub, twice, maybe even 3 times now 🙂  Once (just once) I thought it had resolved the issue, but a day or so later I get errors again.

I had a look through the Virgin forum and a few people have a similar issue without ever getting it resolved.

I may just cancel netflix and start a new account with a new email address and see if that helps.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Fibre 2 Unlimited using EE Smart Hub 2 with EE TV Box Pro (UHD/HDR) in IP mode.