cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Schomosport
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 11

Netflix subscription through BT works on BT TV box but not on iPad or second TV over Internet

I am trying to sort out problems with a Netflix subscription purchased through BT for my brother. He is 50 miles away so it is not a case of just popping round and he is not very good at maintaining log-in details so trying to troubleshoot over the phone can be difficult.

His Netflix subscription is purchased through his BT account. He has a BT box through which he can access Netflix without any problems however we have never been able to sort out access to Netflix on his iPad. He has just purchased a second smart Tv and he cannot get it to work on that either. He used to subscribe directly to Netflix and that account is still live in the sense that it exists but it has no credit. Obviously he doesn't want to pay twice. If he tries to access Netflix though the app on the new TV or the iPad all he gets is an invitation to sign up to Netflix again. A further puzzle is that I would have expected his Netflix account to 'echo' his BT billing or at least make some statement that payment is taken through Bt. It doesn't, should it? It is not impossible that he has two sets of Netflix credentials, one for the now unused direct with Netflix account and a new set for the paid for through Bt account, and got them mixed up or forgotten which one is which!

Suggestions to fix this appreciated, I have no interest in Netflix other than fixing it for little brother so I can get back to my life! Telephone helplines have been unhelpful.

Thanks

Mark

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Guru
Message 2 of 11

Re: Netflix subscription through BT works on BT TV box but not on iPad or second TV over Internet

Hi, the Netflix password should be the same for Netflix on his IPad/TV and on the BT Youview Box. If you have Netflix through BT, then it is only the monthly subscription that is paid to BT which will then be passed onto Netflix.

Can your brother go into Netflix on his BT Box, scroll to the left and into setting and it should show the “account email” which is used. This could then be used to use Netflix on the IPad/TV but he may need to reset the password if he can’t remember it.

Stew

0 Ratings
cooperman
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 11

Re: Netflix subscription through BT works on BT TV box but not on iPad or second TV over Internet

The Netflix sign in will use the same details as his BT online account.

0 Ratings
Schomosport
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 11

Hi Stew,

Thanks for quick reply however Brother goes into Netflix on his box but cannot locate Settings.

0 Ratings
Schomosport
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 11

Ok located a series of menus within Netflix. Email located is his standard email for BT i.e. of the form email@btinternet.com. I was going to have him sign out and change password and log back in but he did that recently anyway.

The mystery remains: why does the email/password combination that work as a log-in on the Netflix app. on the BT TV box not work for the Netflix app when downloaded to his second Tv or an iPad. It logs in to Netflix on the other devices Ok but then asks for payment details. It is already paid for through BT for a Standard subscription so why are they asking again? Tried it here on my Samsung, exactly the same problem. Is there a click through, I am already a subscriber, that I am missing somewhere?

Thanks.

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 6 of 11

Hi, Ok.

Open Netflix - in the middle of the screen you will see whatever video is playing. Right over on the left hand side you should see a search magnifying glass, house, screen etc. Press the left hand arrow and those icons should now appear on a bigger tab on the left. At the base of the tab is “settings” and “Exit Netflix”

Stew

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 7 of 11

OK, you found it while I was typing.

Can you go into the Netflix account in a browser and look at the subscription?

Stew

0 Ratings
Schomosport
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 11

Hi Stew,

Membership and Billing: No payment info

Plan details: No streaming plan

If I click on Billing details it shows the last two payments for Netflix credit from September and October 2018 which was when he switched to paying through BT

If I click on Add streaming plan it takes me through to the 'Get the first 30 days free' screen.

According to Netflix help: To check if you are billed through BT, visit the Membership and Billing section of your Netflix Account page - which is actually the details you have asked me to look up and I have provided them above.

No sign of Bt though but iNetflix works OK on his BT Box. Weird! The Netflix subscription does appear on his BT bill.

Mark

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 9 of 11

Hi, run out of ideas. You need to call Netflix help desk.

Stew

0 Ratings
Schomosport
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 11

Hi Stew, thanks for trying!

0 Ratings